WasAWife Memorial NJ Brunch 5/3

WifeLess

To honor the life and recent death of our dear friend WasAWife, local Young Widow Forum members will be gathering on Sunday May 3 at 11:00 am for a special brunch at Snuffys in Scotch Plains, NJ. Since our previous attempts at scheduling this brunch had to be canceled because of snow/sleet, I hope the weather will be more cooperative this time.

Recently, my lovely wife Bluebird posted this as a Facebook event, and at least 8 members who are also Facebook friends have already indicated they are planning to attend, with 5 more maybes. If anyone else wishes to, please post below so that the appropriate reservation can be made.

For those unfamiliar, the all-you-can-eat Sunday brunch buffet at Snuffy's is huge, enough for two large meals plus dessert. The full adult price, including tax and service charge, is about $30 per person, but half that for children of ages 5 to 8 and free for those of age 4 or under. Directions to Snuffy's/Pantagis/Renaissance may be found here:

http://www.pantagis.com/direct.html

It seems very fitting that Snuffys be the location for this special brunch in WasAWife's honor. Five years ago she organized the first NJ Sunday Brunch Widowbago there, which began a tradition of Snuffy's brunches that brought YWBB members together almost every month for the next several years. The number of attendees often surpassed 20, with members coming from not only NJ but several surrounding states as well, including NY, PA, CT, MD and even OH and MI. So I hope you will join us. It is not necessary to have met WasAWife to attend. All wids and kids are welcome.

Guest TooSoon

I'd love to come but am wondering if anyone else is bringing children?  I would have an 8 year old in tow; more fun for all if she's not the only little one.  Coming from the Lehigh Valley if anyone wants to carpool.

TooSoon: Many times in the past members have brought children to these brunches. They are always welcome. I don't know whether any others will be bringing kids this time, but I've posted the question to the Facebook group and should have an answer for you in a few days.

Based on the responses so far from both Facebook and here, the list of definite or possible attendees includes those Young Widow Forum and/or YWBB members known as:

Bluebird

WifeLess

Singinmomo4

Bobssleepykitty

Chica

Wjoy

Michael797

TooSoon

BC63

NickM

Gaff

Kochanie

Jamiesgirl (perhaps via Skype)

Plus 2 other widowers.

Anyone else interested in attending?

Wish I could, it's been too long, miss ya all. Crazy but one of the wids of this group I saw last, was wasawife. She attended the FoCoNoCo (Colorado) last May. I've always admired her adventure, living through her pictures of her travels on FB. We were having dinner and she was showing me her adventures thus far and explained where she'd be hiking before getting on a plane home. What a beautiful trip she planned, saw, hiked, etc... She looked to be in great health, most do, I guess we know :( sorry I'm missing it. I'll be there in spirit.

Yesterday, I attended our NE OH/NW PA Bago and met Michael797. He & I talked about this one and I assured him he'd be in equally fine company.  I did, however, forgot to tell you, Michael, to keep an eye on the "knife ninja", he's a shifty one ;-) great meeting you.

Cheers wasawife, one helluva a sweet , friendly woman & definitely will be missed!

Count me in. My daughter has a soccer game at noon but it's close to Snuffy's so I think I can work around it and be there for at least a while. WAW and I talked about hiking a number of times but I never did get to go with her.

Coincidentally 5/4 will be 9 years for me. Ugh.

Mike

Sandi: Sorry you cant make it. And I don't know whether the ninja will be attending, since she has not yet replied.

TooSoon: Although no other who responded on Facebook has yet indicated they will definitely be bringing a child, several who have previously brought their children wanted me to again assure you that doing so is perfectly fine.

After a few additions, the list of definites and maybes is now:

Bluebird

WifeLess

Singinmomo4

Bobssleepykitty

Wjoy

Michael797

TooSoon + 8 yo

MikeR

Lmsmdm

Chica

BC63

NickM

Gaff

Kochanie

Plus 2 other widowers.

Who else would like to join us?

K: Sorry you and your entourage of (vegan) exclamation points will not be joining us. Maybe something can be planned for NYC this summer.

It appears that the final list of definites and maybes will be:

Bluebird

WifeLess

Singinmomo4

Bobssleepykitty

Wjoy

Michael797

TooSoon + 8 yo

MikeR

Lmsmdm

Chica

BC63

NickM

Gaff

Plus 2 other widowers.

But there's always room if anyone else wishes to join us.

For Those Planning To Attend:

The reservation is for 11:00 am, the time they open for Sunday brunch. If you don't recognize us when you arrive, just ask for the Chapter 2 table. Since there will be one check for all of us, please bring exact cash. The full adult price is about $30 per person, which includes tax, their 20% service charge for large parties, plus a little extra since we stay so long. (Unlimited coffee and juice are included with brunch. Soda and alcoholic beverages are extra.) Also bring your appetite. The extensive offerings on the buffet are diverse enough for two large meals plus dessert, and so overeating should be expected. Again, here are the directions to Snuffy's - Pantagis - Renaissance:

Hope to see all of you tomorrow morning at 11:00 am.

Guest IronBear

I wish I lived closer. WasAWife was a sweet lady. I am glad to have met her a couple of times.

Guest TooSoon

Just confirming that I will be coming with PA crew; just me, no M for entertainment this time.  Looking forward to it!  P.S. - I'm also vegan but am assuming there will be something vegan friendly?  There always seems to be.

IronBear: Please do join us someday when you're up in the area again.

SoVerySad: Glad that you and your teens will be coming.

TooSoon: There is a salad bar with vege options. And the last time we were there, the cook accommodated K's request for a vegan meal by preparing her a plate of hot veges. Be sure to ask them about this when you arrive, or even before. And Bluebird suggests that you might want to bring your own seasonings for it.

I was wrong. It now looks like the final list of definites and maybes will be:

Bluebird

WifeLess

Singinmomo4

Bobssleepykitty

Wjoy

Michael797

TooSoon

SoVerySad + 2 teens

MikeR

Lmsmdm

Chica

BC63

NickM

Gaff

Plus 2 other widowers.

But there's still time to add more names if anyone else wishes to join us.

For Those Planning To Attend:

The reservation is for 11:00 am, the time they open for Sunday brunch. If you don't recognize us when you arrive, just ask for the Chapter 2 table. Since there will be one check for all of us, please bring exact cash. The full adult price is about $30 per person, which includes tax, their 20% service charge for large parties, plus a little extra since we stay so long. (Unlimited coffee and juice are included with brunch. Soda and alcoholic beverages are extra.) Also bring your appetite. The extensive offerings on the buffet are diverse enough for two large meals plus dessert, and so overeating should be expected. Again, here are the directions to Snuffy's - Pantagis - Renaissance:

Hope to see all of you tomorrow morning at 11:00 am.

Guest TooSoon

Thanks, Wifeless.  I called and they were super nice and accommodating!  Looking forward to tomorrow. 

Guest IronBear

IronBear: Please do join us someday when you're up in the area again.

Will do. I always have fun with you guys.

Guest TooSoon

K --  Longtime vegetarian, three years vegan.  I shall never go back!  Maybe we need to plan a vega-bago? 

Thanks for a thoroughly enjoyable morning/afternoon.  Great to meet you all! 

TS

Thanks everyone for gathering to honor Izabella and thanks WifeLess for coordinating us!

I must say that when we raised our glasses in her memory, tears came to my eyes. Those glasses being raised were like exclamation points on her absence. She was an amazing woman who in her hardest times persisted in thinking outside of herself and participated in life and love as best she could. Despite her own suffering, as consuming as it was in every sense of the word, she was a friend.

I miss her deeply.

Take care all,

Bluebird