Closing online accounts rant!

midnight_man

Ahhhhhhh!  >:(

Why it is that paypal needs to see copies of every single piece of documention I have related to my late wife's death AND documents to prove who I am to close an account, when all her bank wanted was a copy of the death certificate?!

"Just fax them to us," said the guy on the phone, as if I'm some businessman from the 1980s.

I also just managed to log in to my late wife's Etsy account only to confronted with a barrage of complaints from people who haven't received their crocheted items. I don't care about your $10 crocheted gloves you bastards!

Okay, rant over. Sorry about that.

Rant on my friend. I'd pretty much ignore the Etsy stuff.  If you don't see yourself ever needing an account there lol...don't sweat the small stuff.  And I also would not drive myself crazy trying to get access to a fax to appease paypal.  Mail them copies if it is easier.  Dont' let them dictate to you how your spouse's business gets handled. Take it in your time and in your way.  It is really ridiculous to need all that other stuff.  Course that just brought to mind that I never closed Chad's paypal account.  Take a deep breath, count to 10 and just do what you feel like you can do and let the rest wait.

Guest sphoc

Paypal was the worst - I had a huge problem with them as well, but then I found out that my DH had a bank account I didn't know about because they couldn't close his account since there was an active linked bank account. It turned out there was about ?600 in the account. Once I closed the bank account, I got them to layoff wanting probate documentation when I called and spoke with someone directly. There are so many problems with financial crime and fraudulent activity through Paypal, and because it's online, they'll ask for more than a bank typically will. Also, most things like that will only accept sensitive documentation through fax because they're email might not be secure. It's annoying, but they need to cover their butts.

Guest look2thesky

It's very difficult to change anything when spouses pass.

PayPal is online so they require a lot.

There are so many loose ends like that and its like no one was ever widowed before so no one knows what to do. Seems like they should have some kind of widow lounge where they rush you into a massage chair, give you a fancy coffee drink and take care of everything while you are relaxing.

Dumbest comment: talking to a mortgage company after I tell them my husband died they say well because you are not on the account I cannot give you any information, he will have to give us permission to talk to you.

Guest look2thesky

You can't blame the people on eBay or wherever for wanting their stuff.

It's a business, just like everything.

It's ok to be ranting.

Widowing effing sucks

Yikes I am suppose to close his pay pal account

its pretty amazing all the things we have to close or change

I agree it would be so much easier if someone could just wave a wand and its all done

Hard to keep it all on track when you are just trying to get through the day

so know you're not alone

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't closed DH's LinkedIN profile even I know how to do that and reading this thread it dawned on me that he may have had PayPall account too plus whatever I am not even aware of. Dang...

We actually have a digital funeral parlor that can close all online stuff for you. They started about half a year ago and operate still on very local level, but have plans widening the service to nationwide and then perhaps global. So it's not a dream, it's real.

Guest nonesuch

That Facebook has an option for updating the deceased's profile picture was something I found darkly humorous.  I wish I'd known.  If I were clever or ambitious, I could post a picture of that pretty brass box LH is in.

Guest look2thesky

My brother (inlaw) took a picture of Her in the coffin.

Apparently it's a Spanish tradition.

I wonder what reaction that would bring if I posted it..