it's 2015. Do men still only want one thing?

Carey

Guest nonesuch

If it's just about sex why bother.

He occasionally keeps popping up because he's been shot down by everyone else who's possibly somewhat normal.

hehehe.  I live in a small state. After a while, I could recognize the frequent fliers on Craig's List, even if they re-wrote their ads.  More than once, I thought, "Oh he sounds ni....  Oh, wait. That's Ron.  Again"

• 4 weeks later...

Just came across this thread. Another guy perspective:

If he's talking about sex in the first few messages, that's what's on his mind, You have to wonder how interested he is in a relationship. Now as a guy, we all want sex sooner or later, but if we are looking for a relationship first, then we should be able to control ourselves for a while.

Someone else wrote here that our actions are more telling than our profiles. It's true. If the guy is talking about sex, that's what he's looking for. He may turn out to be a decent guy who also wants a relationship, but just be aware. You might (probably) have to sift through a lot of dirt to find your gem.

Mike

I just want to know what is expected of me, am I supposed to carry the conversation? I really really do NOT know how to do this, and the things I'm freaking out may well be the new norm. I stumbled into Chad for God's sake, wasn't even looking. I was calling a friend, friend wasn't home, roommate answered the phone, and I ended up married to said roommate for 17 years.  Maybe I just need to get out the phone book ......

I know how you feel. I haven't dated since I was 16. Do you put yourself out there? I have a single girlfriend and this is something that we discussed during our last lunch date. I mean, if you stay home you're not going to meet anyone there. Ha! Get involved in activities that you enjoy, or did enjoy. If you happen to meet someone during one of those activities you'll already have something in common to talk about. If you don't, then at least you're doing something for yourself.

Carey,

I don't think it's the new norm, but perhaps it's more prevalent these days? As far as carrying the conversation goes, it should be a two-way street. If not, you're talking to the wrong guy. Be yourself and if that doesn't work for the guy, move on. Sooner or later you'll run across someone with whom you click. At least, that's what I'm doing. I keep hoping.

ieh21,

it's 2015. Do men still only want one thing?

Some days, I have to admit my answer is I WISH! :-)

For those days, I'll send you my phone number  ;)  (hey, I'm a guy - what did you expect?)

Mike