Honest Empathy Cards (from HuffPo)

MrsT85

While on my break this afternoon, I clicked through to this story about "honest empathy cards" designed by a cancer patient in her 20s.  While I don't have much experience with cancer, I thought some of you all might appreciate the bluntness and sweet-but-cynical sense of humor of her designs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/08/empathy-cards-serious-illness_n_7243148.html

And I think we can all relate at least a little bit to the first card - the one that has the message "Please let me be the first to punch the next person who tells you everything happens for a reason.  I'm sorry you're going through this."  Had I received a card that said something like that after losing my Tim, I think it would have framed it...

Those card seem to hit the point.

Honesty has it's place with empathy and sympathy.

When my dh died," So Sorry" was what most people said. I appreciated the sentiment, but my one friend when she first saw me said "What the fuck!"  I liked that better cause that was what I was saying the whole time.

My first Christmas without him my sister who lives out of state (and always would send a Christmas card) sent one and she had crossed out the Merry Christmas and just wrote in it that she loved me.  It really made me feel understood.

I think we need empathy cards.

Yeah ...no read these yesterday.

A coworker just lost her brother, age 42, unexpectedly. I honestly struggle what to write. I no longer get sympathy cards...I send blank note cards as most sympathy cards suck. Basically , my heart bleeds for you...life just isn't fair is about the best I can muster.

I think of how hard it is for me and try to cut those with no clue slack, except the idiots who tell me Godnneeded him more than his kids did.  That one just gets me and my evil tongue going