NJ - Duke Island Park, July 26

MikeR

Duke Island Park has summer concerts every week and it's a perfect place for a bago. We could get together for a picnic before the concert. There are open fields, picnic tables, playgrounds for the kids, etc. It's a really nice place and I go there often. I play volleyball there Saturday mornings in the summer (co-ed if anyone is interested - recreational but fairly good level of play). No alcohol allowed (but I've done it, discretely).

We could all bring some food and drink, get there in the afternoon and hang out until the concert starts. Bring your lawn chairs or blankets. Details of the concert are below and the website is:

http://www.somersetcountyparks.org/eventsPrograms/concert/Concert.html

If this type of music isn't your thing, there are other groups every week (the list this year isn't as good as other years, IMO)

Reply here if you are interested.

Mike

July 26

19th Annual Bayou Fest

featuring THE VooDUDES

5:30pm - 6:30pm

New Jersey's own Mardi Gras Party Band, the VooDUDES will strut their musical stuff to kick off this year's Bayou Fest. A mixed bag of Creole Soul, Swamp Funk, and Bayou Boogie, the VooDUDES incorporate elements of R&B, boogie-woogie, Zydeco, Latin, honky-tonk gospel, southern folk, and island music into their own distinctive blend of what can only be described as Louisiana music with a New Jersey accent.

Guest TooSoon

We are on vacation that week but maybe you'd consider coming to us on 6/20?  See posting above. 

Just seeing this...

What a COOL idea!  We are a two-hour drive from New Jersey. Is the park in Bridgewater?

July 26 is a Sunday -- a little harder but not impossible. Put us down as a "maybe" -- I have to check with Andrew and see if he thinks it's do-able to get back on Sunday. Might be a traffic nightmare.

Are all the concerts on Sundays?

Donna

Donna,

Yes, all the concerts are Sundays. The park is on Old York Road on the southwest end of Bridgewater (not far off Rte 202). Depending on where you are in CT, traffic can be good or bad. If you can stay away from the Merritt or 95, you should be fine (I used to live in Monroe so I know the CT roads a bit).

Mike