Memorial day/tears

jlp

Just got a call from my 94-year-old aunt to tell me that she was reminiscing and thinking about me (and my siblings).  She had some flowers from her garden that she put on my dad and my grandparents graves last week -- thinking they wouldn't last until this weekend.  She is my dad's older sister -- my dad was robbed, dying at the age of 60.  Mom was robbed, too, being widowed early, same as me.

Anyway, my aunt lost her (second) husband just over a year ago and is feeling sad, too.  I am the first of the "cousins" to lose a spouse, despite the fact that I'm next to the youngest of nine cousins/siblings.

It was so nice of her to remember us (brother and sister as well) and call, and I could tell from our brief conversation that she "gets it".  We were both near tears, I could tell, as we talked.

I don't care if you're 94 or 24 -- widowhood sucks, and no one who hasn't gone through it can ever understand.  Period.

But, it's been a rainy, dreary day, and I am so grateful that someone remembered me.

That is so sweet for her to call you. I imagine that people often think about us from time to time, but few seem to take the time to call. I have a family friend who is in her late 80s. Her husband died two weeks before my husband died. In fact, my husband drove a few of her friends to his funeral so they could be there for her. We've talked from time to time over the past 2 years. I saw her at BIL's funeral this past week. I've found though she doesn't have some of the same challenges I do in being a younger widow, we share a lot in missing our husbands and trying to keep moving forward. So, I think you are right.

Tight hugs, jlp...

jlp, my DH's widowed Aunt and another widowed Uncle call me to check up on me, they know.  My own aunts and uncles never call me. I have 60 first cousins and only one has been there and 5 siblings I rarely hear from. Insane isn't it. Your Aunt sounds like a kind wonderful Lady.

Hugs