Sarah lost her glasses. Again.

RobFTC

I cannot freaking believe it.

Sarah needs glasses, but just barely, and mainly to deal with something akin to a lazy eye ("intermittent strabismus of divergence excess").  She had some old glasses that had got pretty awful - lost the nose pads - so we got new ones last fall.  Ones she liked and picked out.

After a couple of months, she lost them.  Completely.  They are probably in this house, but we might not find them even when we move out.  Archeologists examining the site millenia hence may find them and wonder at the advanced technology they had way hack in the early 2000s.  She dug out her ratty old pair, me being reluctant to go buy another pair, especially when insurance won't kick in.  We talked about how she needed to take care of her things better, always put important things in the same place, think about where you will look for something before putting it down, etc.

After a while of this, and having her ratty glasses get worse (now the stalks for the nose pads are gone, too), I had to get glasses of my own and I asked how long until I could replace Sarah's.  They said she could get them now!  I had them get the same order she had before.  We got them two weeks ago.  She swore that she would put them in their case, and have a good spot for her case to be.  She'd be super careful, and everything.

A few minutes ago, when I figure we are all packed and ready for vacation on the Gulf Coast tomorrow, I find out indirectly that her *second* pair of glasses are lost - again.  After just two weeks.  She didn't tell me, her sister mentioned it.  "Cue the yelling on camera 4!"  The case is right where it should be, and empty.  The previous case is right near that, and has her ratty old pair.  At least maybe they can be her sunglasses on the beach.  I cannot relate to this - if I don't have my glasses, I pretty much need a white cane.  Losing my glasses would be akin to losing all of my pairs of pants at once.

She can lose anything.  Friday, she'd lost her phone and we'd all helped look for it, and that felt like a major issue because I wanted her to use a packing app to plan what she would take and track progress.  It turned up late that night when her sister brushed it with her foot and noticed it in their bedroom.  (She was *sure* she'd last seen it on the computer desk in the living room, natch.)  Tonight, she looked for her student ID, which we might have used to go downtown for dinner, but she's not seen that for some time.  It's in the clutter in there, somwhere.  I feel like we need to call in the archeologists now.  With a backhoe.  If I stripped everything out of there, who knows what we would find?  Maybe both pairs?  And her student ID?  And Jimmy Hoffa too?

Some days ...

Grrr,

Rob T

Well I wonder if they are with my younger daughter's  2 lost retainers....on #3 currently.

She goes to sleep with it and in the morning it has disappeared.....twice!

$250 a pop!

Now I make her wear it during the day instead.

When the archeologists find the glasses, send them my way!

I feel your pain!  I am now on my fourth and final teenager (thank God!!) and they have all been like that.

My son used to wander through the house looking up at the ceiling...when I would ask what are you doing, he would tell me he couldn't find his shoes.  I still wonder why he thought his size 14 tennis shoes were hovering up near the a/c vents, but it gives me a headache.  And he still can't find his car keys when he's ready to go home after coming over to see me.  Every. Single. Time.

The good news is, either youngest DD (the only one still at home) is better than her siblings at keeping up with her stuffs or the first three just wore me smooth out and I am now accustomed to random teenaged brain farts. 

Hang in there!!

My daughter is nearly 13 and has a talent for misplacing that in the past has driven everyone in the house insane.

Two things happened that improved this a lot.

The first was that she wanted a cellphone but we were adamant that this would never happen as long as she was regularly losing track of her iPod.

And the second was that instead of yelling, I started walking her through a problem solving routine that involved tracing her steps and remembering what she was doing when last she saw the object.

It took time. Probably a whole school year, but her misplacing episodes have dwindled to close to nothing.

During that time too, we updated her bedroom so it was more teenage vs little girl and put up cabinets and cleaned out clutter and amazingly, her room is now clean.

Patience and plan. Good luck.

As a frequent glasses looser, might I suggest Zenni optical.  Their website sucks or did when I used them but the glasses are cheap and won't sting your pocket so much when glasses are lost.  I also appreciate their site because most of their frames are plastic and I am allergic to metal. 

I have a lazy eye and as a kid refused to wear my glasses.  Back then the one side was a thick coke bottle type lens that I used to catch ants on fire with.  My right eye has completely compensated and my last check up the eye doctor said at this point glasses won't help but when I move into the bifocal range later in life, its going to suck :P 

Oh my. SO frustrating. I get upset when my daughters lose mittens, and they're still quite young... My last threat was "if you lose mittens before the end of the winter, you're going without". Fortunately the nanny is an excellent finder of things. Perhaps I should send her to your house...

Both my girls lost glasses. One has learned how to hang on too them now probably because she needs to wear them all the time.  We will see what her sister does her new glasses should be in this week.  I usually have them pay to replace stuff they lose. That is however hard when you actually need it. Like glasses.  I know photoJunkie suggested a optical place I however would suggest Walmart. Cheaper glasses and usually pretty quick. It's were we will end up if DD looses this pair. She is the more responsible of my 3 so we will see. I have never lost mine probably because I can't see without them so If I do put them down I don't get far. 

So Sarah wore the old messed-up pair to the Gulf Coast, and that worked.  We got back Friday.  Yesterday, the cat lead her into the laundry room, where the new glasses were found on the washing machine.  Whew!  At least we're not having to decide about buying another pair (yet).

Of course, I should note here that on the trip, Sarah took her iPhone to the salt-water pool at the beach cottage.  And tussled with her sister over a big squirt gun.  And got pulled into the pool.  And stayed there another 40 minutes at least before she remembered that her phone was in her pocket.  We put the phone in a bag of rice, but I think we all know how this ends :-(  Oh well, we were phone shopping anyway.

Take care,

Rob T

Rice doesn't do much Rob.

My daughter dropped her in the toilet. This a week after she dropped it in the school driveway and it got run over and I had to.replace the glass.

Tips I learned after the fact....

1. Power it off as soon as possible because you will lose that ability

2. Do not try to charge it

2. Open any possible openings to dry it out

My handy local repair guys who replaced the screen were able to save it yet again. 3rd strike and she'll be out!

Rebecca had her Nintendo go into a sink full of water (why the sink was full, meh).  She used the rice method and didn't try to turn her device on for days, and it's fine now.  But yeah, this phone HAS to be done for.

Take care,

Rob T