30th Birthday AKA It's my party and I can cry if I want to.

Today is my 30th birthday. Ive cried off and on for the last week thinking about today. I do not want to face today. I do not want to be starting the next decade of my life without him. I got to celebrate his 40th birthday with him, why didn't he get to celebrate my 30th birthday with me. Of course I am happy we got to celebrate my 29th birthday together. It is a memory I will cling onto, but I cant help but feel like all of this shit is unfair.

All I want for my birthday is for him to come home..

First, I hope you do not mind me wishing you a happy birthday even though you are so sad.

Second, the reason it feels like all of this shit is unfair is because it IS unfair and it is okay to acknowledge that it is and feel any feeling that acknowledgement makes you feel. My birthday was less than two months after LH passed and it was a really hard day for me. How was it fair I would continue to have birthdays without him to celebrate? I guess it isn't about fairness, but about navigating a harsh reality, and that sucks.

Do you have any plans today to celebrate or just having a low key day?

((((((HUGS))))))) Happy Birthday, if that's possible. I think I know pretty much how you feel-- Jim died 3 days after his 40th birthday, and 6 months later I turned 40 without him. It sucked (my word for the day: suck, sucks, suckage). I'm so, so sorry for all of this. It's not fair-- it's so not. Jess is right, it's not about fairness but reality, but-- damn. It SUCKS.

I am sorry you are having to face such a significant first birthday without him. I know it hurts, and I wish there was something to take the pain away. As the others have said, it isn't fair, and it just plain sucks. If you can, try to find something good to focus on, the memory of your last birthday together or some other good memory to hang on to. (((Hugs)))

Do you have any plans today to celebrate or just having a low key day?

I celebrated with family (mine and Blaine's) on Friday with dinner.

Today I worked and slapped on a happy face until I was on the way home and started to cry.

They threw a party for me at work, my owners are kinda like adoptive parents, they wanted to make sure I felt special.

That's sweet that your co-workers threw a party for you. I hope just a little bit of the slapped on happy face was the real deal.  Happy Birthday!

Birthdays are tough, and yes it IS unfair! My 40th is in August and I'm dreading it because we planned on celebrating our 40th's together. We had big plans. He died just a week after his 39th birthday. I celebrated my 39th without him.