Five Years

66etype

Today marks 5 years since I lost Michael to cancer. I'm surprised by the emotion that is coming up today. I miss him so much. I keep working at life... it's crazy what has happened in 5 years. Life goes on. Just missing him so much today. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

Tracy

5 yrs. for me in Jan. 2012.  It was very hard.  I talked to another widow, and she noted that we measure things out in one yr., and the 5, 10 yrs., etc.  It is a milestone for our culture on lots of things, and she thought maybe that was why it was so hard.  I hadn't been without him since 14 yrs. old, so it was crazy to believe I had lived 5 years without him on this earth.  Just so strange.  So, yes, it can be a rough one.  Hugs, Tracy.

Even as the years bring me further away from having my guys, dates still feel like a punch to the gut.  I recently passed the 7 1/2 year mark for my first husband...it felt oddly like the 5 year mark.  Sometimes I ask myself - "Was that really my life?"

Hugs,

Maureen

I am ending the fifth year, looking at the anniversary coming up.  The loss is still something I feel every day, though the complete and utter grief is more like a dull ache.  This last year was traumatic in a new way, when it was discovered I had breast cancer. Several surgeries later, I'm good, I'm okay, getting better and stronger.  But the sadness is back and the anxiety.  It seems like new traumas hit the old ones and cause echoes of the pain.

• 3 weeks later...