widow on facebook

maddalena

It's been more than 3 years since my DH died, and like many of us, i have hundreds of pictures of me with him smiling happily ... on facebook.

A lot of you know, I am now in a relationship again, with a living man. The other day i decided to go back on my DH's facebook account to look at very old posts of his.

I "liked" a couple, and you know what that does? it pops them up on all our friends' feeds, and all of a sudden i was getting dozens of likes of this very nice picture of DH and me.

Well, not everyone knows all the details, that's got to be confusing, so, what the heck, I "liked" the photo of me with New Guy.

right away, people that do know (including his brother) liked THAT photo.

I feel very mixed about this.  What, am I pitting New Guy against DH?  I do want people to remember, but i also want people to know that i'm not constantly mourning the wonderful man I lost,

and that I am happy with my chapter 2 guy...

any thoughts, fellow wids?

You reserve the right to "like" any and all photos of DH. You also retain the right not to have to offer explanations for "liking" his pics. Why should you? It should be apparent to your FB friends you still love DH.

And you have a Chapter 2, but that doesn't mean you've relegated Chapter 1 to some dark, dusty recess of your mind. Your heart is big enough for both.

Now, *that's* love.

Baylee

I totally agree with Maureen in theory and look forward to the day that I get there.

The reality is that I think for anyone who hasn't been in our shoes it's almost impossible to understand that we can love and miss the one we lost at the same time as we love and appreciate the one we are with. It's hard for me to wrap my own head around some days. 

you guys make me feel better. it messes with MY head too, though.  :o

I get this. Last month, on the eve of the second anniversary of my wife's accident, some pics from our wedding anniversary came up out of nowhere on everyone's FB feeds. I'm also in a serious relationship, and though I am of course always happy to remember my late wife, the timing made me cringe because to me it implied that I was in a different place than I actually was.

So yes, in some ways what other people think - or what we THINK they think - is important to us.

I get this. Last month, on the eve of the second anniversary of my wife's accident, some pics from our wedding anniversary came up out of nowhere on everyone's FB feeds. I'm also in a serious relationship, and though I am of course always happy to remember my late wife, the timing made me cringe because to me it implied that I was in a different place than I actually was.

So yes, in some ways what other people think - or what we THINK they think - is important to us.

yes