Teachers/parents question OT

Sugarbell

At your kids elementary school....Are parents allowed to select which teacher their kid will have the following year?? like I do realize there maybe certain circumstances (like I pulled the widow card last year to get my kid switched-which isn't the norm)....

Because here....every year parents request which teacher there kid wants. Parents have even listed "groups" of 4 or 5 friends they also want in there kids class.  The principal encourages this...and is friends with many parents via FB...and is on Instagram with most the kids.

Is this the norm now? Cause I think it's rather bizarre....and really is creating a bunch of entitled little baby/brats.

Just curious. Class lists are up at the school-I am not even bothering checking for a few days. I didn't request a particular teacher for my 2nd or 5th grader...But parents on FB keep asking if it's up and I really want to write "Why are you wondering? You requested the teacher and friends you want your kid to be with anyway".

Thank God my oldest is outta there. 7th graders go to High School here too.

Stepford refuses to have a middle school (even though I believe we are the only area in the state who doesn't have a middle school and sends 7th graders to the high school)--

Guest TooSoon

At M's school, requesting is not allowed. I did suggest that it would be beneficial for to have male teachers when/if possible and they've accommodated last year and for next year, with full understanding of our circumstances. On another note, so not looking forward to the return to school/ return to Stepford in just a few short weeks.....solidarity!

Guest TooSoon

At M's school, requesting is not allowed. I did suggest that it would be beneficial for to have male teachers when/if possible and they've accommodated last year and for next year, with full understanding of our circumstances. On another note, so not looking forward to the return to school/ return to Stepford in just a few short weeks.....solidarity!

Likewise, at our school, it is not permitted to request teachers.  We ARE allowed to request that the child be placed with one friend, but there are no guarantees given.  That being said, last year and this coming year, given our family circumstances, teachers were chosen deliberately as a best fit for my child.  I'm very grateful for this.  Your school sounds really Stepfordian, Sugarbell!

At our elementary school you can only request to NOT have a certain teacher if an older sibling had a bad experience with that teacher.  It doesn't stop parents from trying and doesn't stop the principal from caving to shut up the ones who won't let it go.

Ok...so it's not the norm.

I didn't think so....this never existed until this principal came to the school in 2010. She crosses so many professional boundaries anyway. It's creepy...like taking her favorite 6 5th grade girls out to lunch and ice cream on school time (Thank God my boys were in 4th and 6th grade).

Like something isn't right about her.

And right now on FB....there are parents discussing how traumatized their daughter or son is because they got the class list and this person and this person is in there class. WTF??

Once again so glad oldest is outta there. So far my other 2 kids classes are mellow (it seems to skip years with over protective/dramatic/live at the school parents. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

I'm a 2nd grade teacher and parents are generally not allowed to make such requests.  Of course there are exceptions, but it is not encouraged at all.  For the past two years, the teachers have actually worked together as a team - 4 teachers per grade level - to place students for the upcoming year into classes, with the teachers we feel will be the right fit.  So my grade level worked to place this years third graders in the classes with each particular teacher.  We could focus on which kids needed to be seperated, which kids might need a little extra tlc, etc. 

It seems like your principal is extremely unprofessional and asking for a ton of problems.  There's no way to make everyone happy in that situation. 

Guest Bear1956

My son did much better with male teachers. Conor was mis-diagnosed with ADHD at a young age but we have come to believe that he has very high functioning autism. Social stuff and verbal communication is still a mystery to him.

Is this the norm now? Cause I think it's rather bizarre....and really is creating a bunch of entitled little baby/brats.

Yup, out of the parents just as much as the children.

Not allowed in my school district either.  A bad policy for so many reasons.

The principals and counselors at our elementary schools have always welcomed concerns by parents but the final decision is up to the principal.  There are usually parental requests for certain teachers but that does not mean the request is granted.  Only once did I have a concern about a particularly teacher and after the meeting with principal I felt much better.  My child flourished academically and socially in that class. 

Sounds to me this principal is practicing and using the recipe for creating problems.  Sorry you are dealing with this and hope this is a good school year for your kids. 

Yes we need a new principal. I seriously doubt that will ever happen-unless she does something illegal.

Which could happen eventually-something isn't right with her.

Well at least I now have only 2 kids there. It's a big relief because my oldest class was by far the worst class for cliques and drama (from parents)--Hopefully high school will be less encouraging of that nonsense.