March Madness NCAA bracket tournament?

Guest AC

Hey all!!!  The NCAA college basketball tournament is here. Last year we had a contest on the board and it was lots of fun for those who participated. You don't need to know anything about basketball to participate. For some people it is a fun thing to look forward to over the weeks to come. I had talked to a few people about doing it again this year.

If you are interested or think you might be interested let me know. If it will be a problem to do this on the board, please let me know that also.

GO ZAGS! ;)

I know that everyone pays attention to Division I basketball, but here in Kansas, and in my very own university, we have top-level Division II women's basketball.  Being from Connecticut previously, where women's basketball is highly respected, it is exciting for me to have our university hosting the women's Central Regional Tournament for Division II this weekend.  Fort Hays State University (I know...nobody has ever heard of it!) is a #1 seed in the Division II tournament.  We also have 2 other smaller state universities from Kansas in the tournament as well.

Of course, I will be rooting for UCONN in Division I ball....and hoping that the Volunteers from Tennessee don't do that well.  (Where is TimidandShy these days?)

Maureen

OK, I shall preface this with an admission I know nothing about basketball and I don't even know the names of the teams playing since I'm in the UK (I don't even know if the superbowl thing is about American football or baseball!).

I shall join in if people give me a list of teams and a little pointer :)

OK, I shall preface this with an admission I know nothing about basketball and I don't even know the names of the teams playing since I'm in the UK (I don't even know if the superbowl thing is about American football or baseball!).

I shall join in if people give me a list of teams and a little pointer :)

Many of the people who make brackets don't follow basketball either. It is more just for fun. All the teams will be listed in a bracket with numbers next to their name listing how good the team is. The number 1 teams are the best 4 teams in the country. I typically just have fun guessing, but I love the Gonzaga University and root for them every year.

Thanks AC, I will participate.

For those who are unfamiliar with the NCAA tournament: The brackets are made up of individual conference champions and the best of the remaining schools. The conference tournaments are being played this week and will finish Sunday (March 15), with the March Madness brackets coming out later that night. For many smaller colleges, just making it to "the big dance" is a huge accomplishment. Most of the excitement of the NCAA tournament is watching the the larger schools get beat by relatively unknown underdogs. It really is a fun tournament to watch.

WOOT!!!  YAY!!  There is interest!  Hopefully this will be a go. Thanks, guys for adding more detail. I am still operating via iphone here and will be for a few more days. I may need to enlist a bit of help getting things rolling until I get my computer back. Can you say "covered under warranty"????  BOOYEAH!!  Life is good - in 2 to 4 more business days. HA.

Just to reinforce a bit what others are saying - you do not need to know ANYTHING to play. You can pick winners randomly, alphabetically, by strategy or whatever. My one friend makes her choices based on which mascot would win in a showdown. Minutemen vs Huskies?  Who would win?  Is a person likely to win the contest based on these types of selection criteria?  Heck no. Will they have fun?  Most likely!  And in this thread it's all about fun and a bit of good natured, healthy, community building competition.

Obviously there is no fee to participate. The one big requirement is that you be available to make your selections between the bracket announcement and the start of the first game.

*Maureen, I will be rooting for your teams!  Sounds exciting. GOOOOOOO UCONN!!!

More details to come tomorrow. Sometime tomorrow, you will be able to officially join the contest. Tomorrow night the teams will be announced. Your selections must be locked in by the deadline, which will be sometime before the first round kicks off on Tuesday, March 17. Again, more details tomorrow. Just wanted to give a heads up.

Hugs to Lisapop and welcome on board Gabzmom.

DIAH thank you!  You knew JUST what to get me :D 

*AC high fives Serpico and says "SWEET!"

I started a new thread in general, as it was recommended to put it there since some members steer far clear of this here social section.

You can go there, register, select your pics, etc.

I tried to explain everything as best I could - but, um, er... Feel free to add anything you think might be useful to others.  Also, don't hesitate to ask questions, answer questions etc. 

I heard UCONN didn't make the big dance????? :o  I don't know if I am capable of filling out a bracket without choosing UCONN to take it all.  I am hoping I can figure out a new strategy here...  SIGH. 

• 2 weeks later...