What you wish you would have had

DavidsKtBeth

I have a friend from high school who recently lost the father of her two children.  I don't believe they were a couple right now but they have been on and off for about 10 years I believe so either way it is a devastating loss.  I would like to put together a kind of care package for her and her kids but since I don't have children I'm not sure what to send, the kids are about 7 & 8.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's loss. My children were older than hers when my husband died, however I might make a few suggestions. First, a DVD or two for them, combined with some microwave popcorn and those theater box candies. It would be a way for your friend to try to give the kids a fun evening without leaving the house to go to the theater where there might be other kids with their dads. One warning - many childrens' movies such as Disney movies have the death of a parent in them which could be very upsetting right now. Maybe some other parents here with young kids could offer some more recent safe suggestions for you or those to specifically avoid. Other entertainment ideas would be good as well depending on their interests. Another idea would be a special photo frame for each that they might be able to put a pic of them with their dad in. I bought each of my kids one and let them pic any pic they wanted. We also have a framed pic of all of us together where the frame says Families Are Forever.

It is nice of you to want to do something like this for your friend and her children.

Sending you hugs...

Guest TooSoon

Art and school supplies never go unused in our house!  My daughter also likes to write cards to people so maybe some blank note cards with envelopes.  If there is a girl involved here, pop beads and those rubber band bracelet kit things have been big hits for jewelry making.  Connect Four is a great game for two kids as is Twister.  There is a company called Alex that makes some pretty inexpensive little craft kits for kids (though they also do more expensive, elaborate things as well).  My daughter is 8 and never tires of them, can do them on her own. 

How very sweet of you.  I have found a lot of comfort in doing for others throughout my grief, helping to remind that pain is not my sole monopoly. 

Guest TooSoon

As for the movies, you're always safe with the Muppets.  And even grown-ups can enjoy.  The latest two were spectacular and at this point I can probably recite most of the lines by heart...but that's just me, kid of the 70s here.

I used a lot of paper products those first few months. Washing dishes was more then I could handle and even running the dishwasher felt like a huge chore.  I also wanted meals that we grab and go like sloppy joes , tacos and even frozen chicken fingers and fries. I threw out a ton of stuff that people sent over because it just took to long to heat up, the kids were always hungry and I never was.

Gift cards for movies, pizza, take out, or groceries are always welcome.

My sister gave me a book called tear soup that helped explain to my kids why I was always sad. Don't know if your relationship is at that level

So thoughtful and kind of you to think of her and try to come up with something truly helpful.