Does the weather affect your grief?

Carey

This  is the 6th straight day of almost constant rain here in lovely eastern NC.  This morning on the way to work, I had my phone playing music in my car and I had it on shuffle.  I know there are "triggers" on there, but sometimes I just choose to feel the pain, yaknow?  So this morning lil Miss Carrie Underwood starts her See You Again crap (lol) and I just started bawling. Chad died in November and it was so rainy that week, I remember everywhere I went (in my PJs no less), it was soggy and wet and I didn't care. I've always been a summertime beach girl, but I used to love fall.  I have even always enjoyed rainy days.  Not so right now.  I'm sure the monsoon is not helping, but I resent God or Fate or whatever for effing up one of my favorite times of the year.  My birthday is this Saturday and my best friend rented a condo with an ocean view for us for two nights and I keep thinking if I can hang on till then .... but if it feels this bad at the first of October, what in the hell is November going to be like?  Rain rain go away ..........

Most people would be in a poor mood after six straight days of rain. I can understand how the one thing that troubles you the most would put itself front and center. Here in Boston, the weather I dislike most is those springs where it's either raining or cold and overcast. You can go for more than a week without seeing any sunshine. I'd rather have snow on the ground than all that rain. Fortunately, we haven't had a spring like that in recent years.

This past winter, I really missed Catherine when the first blizzard (of several) came. I actually enjoy staying at home during snowstorms, but that was the first time that she wasn't riding out the storm with me.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

Weather plays a big part in my emotions, including grief. I find I am more likely to feel the grief creeping in and rearing its ugly head, when the weather is overcast, gloomy, cold, and/or rainy. Thankfully, I live in sunny CA, so the number of days I have to deal with the effects of bad weather are fewer than they would have been, were I still living in the mountains of NC.

I'm sorry you're feeling down. Certainly, six days without sun can have a very real impact on one's mental health. The fact that Chad died during a string of rainy days makes for a double whammy.

I am thankful that weather does not seem to have much of an impact on how I feel. I love a good thunderstorm, I enjoy sunny days and when I lived in Colorado, I would take nighttime walks during snowstorms.

Yes, the weather increases my grief and my blood pressure. Without my husband, I've had to deal with a leaky roof, frozen pipes, loss of power, downed trees, and now I have to worry about another storm coming my way this weekend. It's not even winter yet!

Today was miserable and it was only rain. It was a crummy ride into work this morning, but I leave very early anyway, and got here ok.  I work at a college and many professors did not make it in because of flooded roads and backed up traffic. If the teachers made it in, many students did not.

I hate the weather.

I live in upstate NY. I get all 4 seasons.

The wind today is blowing some leaves down. The rest of the leaves are just beginning to think about falling. That's a huge project at my house, to rake leaves. Grrrrr

Oh yes weather and change of seasons has an effect on me for sure!  Fall was DHs favorite season, no bugs and hunting.  Those cold rainy Sunday's was nap time with DH :) I miss that soooo much. Little nap then.... Ok I'll stop :)

I used to be a summer girl, can't take the hot sun anymore and now loving the fall WTF, he's laughing down on me now.

Guest Lost35

Ah, the weather...

It was a foggy day when I got the phone call.  His plane was missing, the search was hampered, no-one knew anything for hours.  Then to find out baby was on the way, I walked for miles everyday, just to do something.  Through the fog.  Judging visibility.  Distance.  Counting off seconds.  "We" went through the winter that way.  For all the work I've done and all the healing I've fought for, I have to say it sometimes seems all-for-naught when the fog rolls back in...

I need to live in Hawaii. Or somewhere else, without fog and rain.  Maybe that would help.

Yes.  The weather is one of the most major factors.  It's part of what happened and it happens each year, like clock-work.  It only makes sense that it would be difficult. 

I'm learning to let go of fighting these difficulties and instead trying to understand them and let them be.  It's easier and seems to help a bit.  But I really do need to move to Hawaii. 

Take care.

-L.