O.T. New job 7th grade Science..

Sugarbell

Yea....if you have ever read previous posts of mine I am a big believer in things happening when they are supposed to.

My case management job was cutting hours...and the hours were like some evenings/weekends...it was a pain with kids evening activities.

My sons class has gone through 3 Teacher's this year already in science. They have someone hired for the position but she's also the county audiologist and the board won't let her switch until someone is hired in her place. Probably not till January..possibly next spring.

I have a K-8 undergraduate degree. I am taking a night class to get my full certification renewed (because I have done other jobs over the years)... I was thinking.. "ok next year...I am going to apply full time for an elementary position"..

My son told me to apply for this long term sub...yesterday went and talked to principal...and he told me I could start tomorrow.

It's tough...I am starting from scratch with lesson plans/activities. I know most of the kids. After 6 days they will pay based on my educational level (MA 15) so the added $$$$ will be nice.

Lord this is going to be interesting.

Guest TooSoon

Fantastic news!  I have not the first thing to say about middle school science, but I do know about walking into a classroom every day.  I'm here when you need me.  Good for you, SB - the classroom seems like a very healthy place for you.  Lots of love. 

I love it!! But I admit I am also worn out. First 2 days on my feet teaching all day...establishing that fine line between being the fun teacher and setting down boundaries and control. Best compliment I have gotten..my son this evening told me "Mom you have more control and respect in the classroom than half my teachers...The kids (his friends) actually listen and are learning from you"... this is my kid who is usually my worse critic....and has never me in "work professional mode" (I always compartmentalized work and he had no idea my work ethic.--He just sees the fun living Mom side..

I am glad tomorrow is Friday though.  :)

Glad you like teaching SB.  So relate to the tired exhausted feeling.  Friday's are always a welcome bringing on some time to re-energize.  I can't imagine walking in cold following another sub and keeping your head above water. 

Guest TooSoon

So glad its going well!  I always find the first few weeks of teaching to be physically draining until I get back into the swing.  By that point in the semester, teaching becomes emotionally draining when the problems and issues begin to surface!  But I do love the classroom - never a dull moment, always a challenge and that keeps things interesting! 

It's going great...but coming in the middle of the week with no plans was challenging. I think I pulled it off.

Going in Sunday to work on plans, labs, decorate the room, etc. I collect cool rocks and have tons of plants in my home.. So bringing some to the classroom..

This really nice retired teacher who subs at the school all the time has kinda taken me under her wing. Except today after school..my younger 2 walked over from elementary school to ride home (Bossy boy of course is too cool to ride with his Mom and rides home with our neighbor whose a Senior) Anyway..she's making over the kids and says "Is your husband a teacher in the county so he's home to help with the kids?"

Smile and pause ..."No he's deceased"...

bless her heart....She looks horrified...looks at the kids (who are paying no attention) and says "Ob dear...so it's just you and the kids? Oh how tough on them"(...as she's backing herself out of the classroom toward the door)...So I say "No really it's been 8 years...it's ok..We are great..Kids are fine"

She continues to back herself out of the room..."Oh well you have a good weekend "... And off she went.

It just reminded me how being widowed still can make the lay public very uncomfortable.

Of course....I could've said "Oh really it's fine...since he died I developed a severe addiction to painkillers that almost killed me, but have been in recovery for almost 4 years now...I got clean after my 5 month marriage to an alcoholic crumbled...but now I have a great dude who screws my brains out every weekend" ;D

But of course I didn't.