Antidepressants..the good, the bad and the ugly????

klim

I know very little about depression and the drugs they use to treat it.

My son has been prescibed an antidepressant. I think he is depressed and was willing to give this a try but there  was so much talk about the side effects when the pharmiscist gave them to me, I'm now a little nervous.

Figured I'd ask for peoples stories so I know what I'm getting into.

So any inside information?

I personally am on the PRO side of this debate. I have had a very positive experience with anti-depressant for anxiety. I was always a big worrier, even as a child, and they have helped with that a lot. I did not start them until mid life (yes pre widowhood before I even had big real worries.) Maybe for younger people there are different issues.

Bodies and brains are very individualistic. I have a friend that has had issues over the side effects. I have had none.

Good luck with your decision and I hope your son feels better.

While I've never taken an antidepressant, i used to think that counselling and therapy could cure it all...until I took a pharmacology course.

In fact I did an hour long teaching presentation on depression and anti depressants..I could send you the slide show, but it might be a bit boring,lol.

What I can tell you is that sometimes therapy is not enough. Our brains work so differently and depression isn't always just about "feelings" but can be about what is going on in our brains. Without getting into the boring parts about neurons, neurotransmitters, etc..there are neurotransmitters in our brains that send signals from one neuron to the other, if these aren't being sent or they are involved in the reuptake process without being received it can cause depression.

I'm going to assume that they have started him on an SSRI, this is usually the first step and the one less likely to cause side effects. The most common side effects of antidepressants all start with an s, stomach issues, sexual dysfunction, sedation and last and scariest seizures. But typically they start out on a low dose and if there is no improvement they will increase it, until he reaches a therapeutic dose, one that works. The only problem with an SSRI is that it only helps if his serotonin levels are low, it doesn't address depletion or reuptake of norepeniphrine or dopamine, the other two transmitters responsible for those feel good emotions. In the case of this they would start him on a heterocyclic antidepressant which would address those issues. And again it's always started at a low dose and any side effects should be reported and discussed with a doctor, especially before discontinuing a drug. It can actually be dangerous to stop taking them, not trying to scare you.

Sorry if this post is long. I guess all I'm really saying is whatever side effects he may experience are likely to be less harmful than what they warn. Depression can develop into a very scary thing and I personally feel that the pros of taking an antidepressant outweigh the cons. Again just my opinion, good luck and I hope everything works out ok.

So any inside information?

Yes, sometimes they work.

Sometimes they don't.

I'm not being flip - you just don't know until you try so, if the doctor has recommended them, go for it. Keep an eye out for adverse side effects but generally, they are very rare.

Good luck, Mike

The way my doctor explained it to me is that yes, there are side effects, but the side effects of not taking the medication - stress, worry, unhappiness, suicidal thoughts, suicide, self harm drinking, drug abuse, etc - are all far worse.

As others have said, try 'em.  If they work, great.  If not, oh well.  But they are a safe, effective means to help combat depression, and as most of us here already know, therapy and time sometimes just doesn't cut it.

I am on mild antidepressant suggested by my doctor who is also a family friend

I do also have a grief counselor which is a great part of the process

I haven't had many bad side effects besides a headache the first couple of weeks

I have no idea if it has helped

but I do get up everyday and function so I have no idea if I would have dipped into a depression if I didn't have this medication

I also do feel deep emotions and still get sad/angry etc so hasn't turned me into a robot

no sure of this helped at all but like everyone has said it really depends on the person and the medication given

I was on Wellbutrin following my wife's death for about a year and a half.  It had side effects, but I think it helped pull me through during a time I was having trouble just getting out of bed in the morning.  If it weren't for the fact that I can't take it for professional reasons (I'm a pilot), there's definitely been times I wish I was back on it.

It's not a happy pill. You still feel emotions, they just don't immobilize you as much.  Short version, in conjunction with therapy and prescribed by a good psychiatrist (not just a "write the scrip and take your money" type), it can be useful for many people dealing with grief.

Thanks for the input...this is just the feedback I needed.

I wanted to hear from  real people .

I've started him on the antidepressant and he will see a councellor on Friday for some talk therapy.

hopefully between the two, things will move forwrd for him.

Fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Damiansinc

I was on Wellbutrin following my wife's death for about a year and a half.

I just started Wellbutrin. Eight months after Sara's death. I just hit a depressed wall and wasn't functioning. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm hoping to not hit as many crippling lows.

They are all very different and have different positive and negative side effects depending on your body's chemistry.

I started taking one in 1998-Not because I needed it but I sold it as a rep. It was a pill culture and we did lots of experimenting because we were stupid kids in our 20s. It's no secret I am a prescription drug addict in recovery. But the only two meds I now take are a BPressure pill and that damn antidepressant.

Physically I can't get off of it. I get major brain zaps and headaches/vision problems. So I have been stuck on it for 17 years-not because I am depressed because physically I can't handle withdrawl (and I went thru opiates and benzo withdrawl but can't do antidepressant withdrawl)

Just work with the doctor...stay on lowest dose possible for the benefits and monitor. They can be lifesavers in some cases and disasters in others. Most people have to try 2 or 3 different ones until they find the one that works best with them. Some sedating-some activating-Depends on the person.

Im glad he thinks it is helping!!  Yay!!  I also agree with sticking to the lowest dose possible and do not stop them on your own.  I tried them for a while and while they did help, the first one I tried I couldn't handle the side effects.  We finally switched me to an anti anxiety medication and that has helped more as it appears my depression is triggered by my anxiety issues. 

I will be on antidepressants for life. The only downside for me is difficulty achieving an orgasm.

I took Celexa (an SSRI) for a while for anxiety after my father died. I had this same problem ^^^, and joked with my wife: "Where was this shit when I was 18? I could have used the extra time then!"  ;D

Guest nonesuch

I will be on antidepressants for life. The only downside for me is difficulty achieving an orgasm.

sixty percent of patients on anti-depressants report trouble achieving orgasm.

The other forty percent are lying.