Can't decide if I'm proud of myself or disappointed in myself

sojourner

So, big, big windstorm midweek last week. I live on a small acreage with a little pasture. A medium-sized tree came down and landed on my fence. No animals there currently, so no emergency to clear it. I *know* how to use my chainsaw; I've just never used it by myself, alone. Today I decided  I just wanted to get 'er done and clear it off. Went got fuel, changed into my lumberjane clothes, figured I'd have one of my teens go out and stand by in case of whatever.... And then chickened out. On one level I feel like I did the responsible thing- would I want to subject my kids to something if something went wrong? (Insert imagination running wild here.) On the other hand, I feel disappointed in myself for not getting a simple, basic thing done. Feeling discombobulated!! ??? I hate this! I guess I'll just hire it done and waste $$, as I don't know anyone I feel comfortable imposing on.

I get this....I've delayed a number of projects after a fairly bold" i got this" type start

Sometimes after some thought I've reapproached them...spmetimes the pass has been permanent and the dollars have been spent.

You'll figure it out..

I have been there a few times and right when its time to get er done .. I don't

I try and think of it as I wasn't fully ready to conquer that project and if you ever second guess yourself I think that's when the accidents happen (yes insert all images of stitches , ER visits etc)

like klim said I either re approached when feeling more confident (or goggling it )

or knew it was something I just wasn't ready to do

so do not be disappointed in yourself , this isn't easy stuff we have to do

Thanks, guys. I feel like I did the right thing since I don't think it's at all wise to take on significant power tools if you're having any misgiving, especially given I'm the sole surviving parent. I just really wanted to be independent & get this thing done. So think I used good judgment but yet disappointed.

I think you made the right decision.  I too live in the country and last february i had a good size tree fall across my road to the house.  Dan had bought a fancy Stihl chainsaw a few months before he died so it's a good size piece of equipment.  I cleared as much as I could on my own and called someone who had experience with a chainsaw.  As soon as he took a look at it he recognized it needed some adjustments before he used it.  He also had enough experience to know how to work it to prevent it from getting stuck.  In my opinion it's really a task for someone with lots of experience.  But I'm a city girl raised on an air force base, so the weed eater and cub cadet are the only tools I've even considered using in dan's collection.  Good luck!

I completely understand.  I had a sick tree taken out of the front yard last week and when the company came out to give me a price, the plan was for them to just drop the tree and we (my 17 y/o son and I) were going to cut it up for the wood stove for next year.  I was thrilled when I came home to find that they had come and gone and that they cut up the wood and left it where we keep the wood.  I was not looking forward to using the chainsaw...or letting my son use it either.  I used to get nervous when my husband used it.    I hope you find someone to take care of it for a decent price.