Changing relationship status on FB

sdarrah1130

When I first got an FB account (2008) I had widow. I was a newly widowed Mom. But with that "status" came lots of creepers, etc.

Mine has been blank for years. Been in a relationship for a year and a half...no need to put it all over FB. Just blank...NG is blank. But we are both private with certain aspects of our personal life.

Do whatever you want. Safest bet though is to leave it blank.😊

I had myself listed as widowed for a while. Sugarbell is right, it brings a lot of creepers and scammers, which is disgusting.

I am listed as in a relationship right now. A big reason why was due to it being a long distance relationship. People in his life could easily see me and learn a little about me, which is important to me with his upcoming cross country move.

Echoing Sugarbell again, do whatever feels right to you. :)

Blank, and it'll probably always be just blank.  I don't post a lot on FB, since abusive ex was a stalker..and even though I've changed my name, to not even my "name", he may still stalk, but hopefully he can't find me.  It's all private, and people are blocked.  But, I'll still leave it blank.  The people who care about me and who know me would know my "status" anyway.  Which.... is "blank". 

My status says widowed and I never had any creepers.  I won't change it to "in a relationship" until we are engaged probably, I'm pretty private, we've only put 2 pictures of us together on FB in the almost 2 years we've been dating but I don't really put many pictures of myself on anyway.

My husband died in October 2012, and my status on FB is still married to him. I've been seeing someone the last few months and he hasn't said anything to me about it. He's incredibly understanding about Dan, but if it ever starts to bother him I will discuss changing it. I would never change it to widow because of the creeper thing. It also severs the link between you and your spouse's page, which I don't like. 

Yes I changed it to widowed a few months after he died. I've never had anyone comment on it or creepers. I've been dating NG for 8 months and he brought it up one time a few months ago. He wanted to know what my FB status was for some reason. I told him still at widowed and asked if he thought I should change it. He said it's up to me, whatever I'm comfortable with. He doesn't have a FB account. If we ever get engaged I will probably change it.

I only started with FB a few months after my wife had died, so I started with the "widowed" status.  No issues, but then again I had (and still have) very few FB friends.

After dating my now-ex-girlfriend for a while, I changed my status to "in a relationship".  Plenty of people were rather happy to see that I'd taken that step, but then the relationship quickly fell to pieces and I had to change it back to either "single" or "widowed".  It felt somehow wrong to change it back to "widowed" after being in a relationship - as if "widowed" is a one shot deal and I couldn't go back to it after giving it up - and I ended up just listing myself as "single".  I guess "single" is the most appropriate for me as it says that I'm open to a relationship, whereas "widowed" seems (evidently unsuccessfully from what I've read here) to tell people to give me some space.  In my mind, "single" is looking towards the future, while "widowed" is looking towards the past, but that's my personal opinion only.

I can't remember when I changed my status to widowed, so it probably was shortly after she died.  FB occasionally pops up and asks me to update things, so it probably was then

No creepers, but I think that's different for guys (I have gotten a few unwanted stalker types, but I suspect that's because of my horses and not because I'm a widower).

If I ever start dating again, I doubt I would change it to "in a relationship" unless I got engaged.  I mean, it's hard to imagine a girlfriend of a few months trumping an intensely loving bond that lasted decades.  Heh--  maybe that attitude explains why I still haven't started dating again :D

Guest nonesuch

My status was married for a few weeks after husband's passing, then blank for a long time.  I think I hesitated at 'widowed' because it severed ties with Late husband. I did get a few nut bars, but changed my privacy settings to make me less visible. A few months after dating Flavor, I was "in a relationship." 

If y'all are getting fake widows and creepers, talk to your local Facebook guru, who will tell you how to tighten up your privacy settings.

It's been almost 4 years for me and I've stayed "married" to my late husband with my relationship status- the main reason is I like staying linked to his page. I'll sometimes post updates of my son on there for his contacts. I probably won't change this unless I get married again- way way down the line. I don't like the idea of just changing to say "I'm in a relationship" and I never did that when I did have a boyfriend.