NCAA Men's Basketball - LET THE MADNESS BEGIN

Guest AC

The NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Tournament is here!!!

***Today is selection Sunday - bracket has been announced.  Contrary to what I said earlier, the deadline for locking in your selections is 3/19/15 at 12:15 PM ET (not the 17th as I had thought)

The tournament gives you days and days of something small to look forward to. You don't need to know about basketball. You don't need to watch the games. Just fill out a bracket. Even if your teams are not pulling through, you can root for someone who IS doing well. Trust me, it is fun! 

I have set up an official Team WIDDA March Madness Pool!

There WILL be PRIZES. You never know who may win a prize. Not all prizes go to the "winners". 

***Please note.  There were considerable difficulties with the prize committee last year.  Months after the tournament end, the prizes were located in the trunk of a relative of someone on the prize committee who had promised to mail them out.  Thinking that the task was complete, the budget committee allocated money to the spring shoe fund which should have been reserved to cover the meager shipping costs not covered by the aforementioned relative.  Once the funds were in place again, IT had managed to lose track of necessary mailing addresses.  It was true madness and mayhem at every turn - just not in March.  All committees now have BACKUP.  Small prizes will indeed be sent to any winners who share their mailing address.  I, AC, as the only person serving on any of the above committees last year, apologize for the outrageous prize delivery debacle.  Last years prizes will also be sent at the conclusion of this years tourney unless appropriate mailing addresses can not be located. ***

The College Bracket deadline is 12:15 PM ET, 3/19/2014

The Final Game is April 6

Some people will be picking teams because, although player A is injured, statistically, in even numbered years, team X out scores team Y in the paint 98% of the time.

You don't have to do that. You can choose teams based on the fact that you believe a Blue Devil could stomp a Tar Heel. Or, you can go alphabetically. Or by rankings. Or whatever you choose. Just have fun with it.

Below, you will find the instructions to enter. I have set the pool up as private.

If you are not comfortable creating an account, I can add your selections and then find a way to give you access to the action.

---------------------------------------------------------------

You are being invited to join 'Team WIDDA 2015 March Madness Pool'.

In order to join, you must:

1. Register as a user at http://www.poolhost.com.

When registering, you will choose a personal username and provide your e-mail address. When you click Join, PoolHost.com will send you an e-mail with a password to login to the site. 

2. Login to PoolHost.com with the username you chose and the password sent to you.

3. Go to the 'Pool Tools' menu and choose 'Join a Private Pool'.

4. Choose 'College Bracket Challenge'.

5. To Join the pool you need to enter the Pool ID and Pool Password.

For the Pool ID type: WIDDA

For the Pool Password type: madness

That's it and then you're in! The next time you login in to http://www.poolhost.com, you can get back to your pool(s) by going to 'My Pools' where you'll see all the pools you've joined. Clicking on a pool name will take you to that pool. You can switch to a different pool by going to 'My Pools' again at any time.

To Register, click here:

http://www.poolhost.com/index.asp?page=register.asp

*** Last year we simply did one point per game.  This year, we are weighting each round, so each round you can score a maximum of 32 points.  I will explain more later (and try to be more entertaining), but at the moment I am in a bit of a time crunch.  Anyone participating please add any info you feel might be useful to others.***

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like fun!  Last year, i was in too much of a fog to participate, but I think I shall give it a whirl this year.  Of course, I need to wait until tomorrow to make my picks.  My 8th graders are filling out a bracket for a school wide advisory class competition.  I think I will just enter their picks on my bracket.  Nothing could possibly go awry with that plan, right?  :P

Sadly this year I am too exhausted and busy to take my picks seriously.  :-\

How can one take anything seriously when UCONN isn't even invited to the dance???  GO ZAGS!!!

***** 1 day, 12 hours, 36 minutes left to lock in your picks.  Don't me whip out the wet noodle!!! *****

I wonder how many I'll get wrong since I have no clue what-so-ever!

That's the fun thing about the tournament. Year in and year out, even the experts look really bad once the tournaments starts. The first 2 days are especially fun to watch because there are generally lots of upsets. All it takes is one or two upsets and an "expert's" bracket is totally busted. 

OK guys and dolls!  Well done!  Several of you jumped right in there and successfully registered and made their pics.  With only 13 hours, 11 minutes left to lock in selections, I am wagging my wet noodle at myself, Serpico, lcoxwell, and anyone on the fence about participation.

THE HOUR IS NIGH, PEOPLE.  GET THOSE PICS IN. 

OK guys and dolls!  Well done!  Several of you jumped right in there and successfully registered and made their pics.  With only 13 hours, 11 minutes left to lock in selections, I am wagging my wet noodle at myself, Serpico, lcoxwell, and anyone on the fence about participation.

THE HOUR IS NIGH, PEOPLE.  GET THOSE PICS IN.

Ok! Ok! I know how to take a hint. My picks are in (or I should say, the picks of my 8th grade special education students are in).  Hey!  You gotta pick somehow.  ;D

And the games are about to begin!!!

Two quick announcements:

1.  After a brief review of the entries, it appears that my brain works much like that of a fourth grader - about basketball anyhoo ;)

2.  Just a little over a half hour remains to lock in your picks if anyone else cares to join in.  If Serpico is out there - if you can't get them in on time, PM them to me and I will do what I can.

With the tourney officially underway, one thing is clear - ya just NEVER know what is going to happen!  With games down, it is time to give a huge shout-out to two contenders:

1.  ssm:  The woman who claims to not know a basketball from a watermelon has claimed the early lead in this years contest, accurately predicting 5 of the 6 winning teams.  WAY to go!  You are going to have to fess up  - did you really pick based on mascot?  I will soooooo crack up if you did.  ;D

2.  lcoxwell's 4th grade class:  I guess I should have thought more like a 4th grader if I wanted an early lead here - our own lovely miss Leslie is currently holding down second place, having chosen 4 of 5 winning teams.

Those that went with solid knowledge of the sport and ability of individual teams don't seem to be fairing as well.  Nor do some of us (like me ) who went with a combination of knowledge of the sport but not this years teams while tossing in a fair bit of "I WANT this team to win despite the odds so I will pick them".  The rest of the pack is pretty well tied - having predicted either 2 or 3 of the games successfully.

Now no one go getting too excited or too disappointed - this is MARCH MADNESS after all.  Next thing you know, Duke may lose in round 1 - right?  :o

This thread is too quiet - anyone actually watching these games???

Now no one go getting too excited or too disappointed - this is MARCH MADNESS after all.  Next thing you know, Duke may lose in round 1 - right?  :o

Bite your tongue, woman! (You know I love you, right?)  ;D

And the trash talk begins - and seems to be effective in this particular contest.  The lovely miss Leslie is now tied for the lead!  WOOT!

For Kamcho and others - never to late to join in!  When the field has been narrowed from 64 teams to this year's sweet, sweet 16 we can always start a side contest.  I will keep reminders coming for those who express interest!  We can't let passion for the sport like "go green" just fall to the wayside!  ;)

HAHA - I threw my local smarties (haavad) under the bus cause, well, it's basketball and UNC and whatnot...

tied with less than a minute to go.  If I got this one wrong - OY

Some early upsets have handed a tough hit to a few of our contestants.  That one nearly got me as well.  MADNESS.

What is more mad (madder?  the madiest?)  Is that I failed to notice that Marian's picks are missing.  Marian - I am sorry.  Total brain malfunction.  Hope you will still join us when it gets down to the sweet 16!!!

I would report in on the current standings, but I think the lovely miss Leslie likely knows her students are spectacular all ready. :)

DIAH awakens and, along with his trusty servant Patsy, rides to the widda board in anticipation of being hailed as the greatest NCAA tournament analyst to ever live.

HcpNP9W_zpskarbzlco.gif

On his way to the widda board, rumors run rampant. The master NCAA tournament predictor, DIAH, has not fared well. Catcalls of "Loser", "Idiot" and "Imbecile" is directed his way throughout his journey. He looks up and thinks he sees one of his competitors directly taunting him.

tumblr_lh06lod6A01qarc0k_zpsmpr9jt8t.gif

Undaunted, DIAH heads to the NCAA thread on the widda board and looks for AC, the head honcho of the thread and tournament organizer. He looks down at his busted bracket, sees his many wrong picks and becomes sad.

AC says to DIAH "Don't worry, today's a newt day"

DIAH says "...

tumblr_m9r0otZ2aK1qbdumgo3_r2_250_zpsfdjls9ds.gif

AC blushes and says "Sorry,  a NEW day. Today is a NEW day and there is a lot of basketball left to be played"