NYC April 12, 2015!

Jen

Here's some info to ponder. The train ride is about 12 minutes and the trains on Saturday pretty much run every 10-15 minutes; we still have to get from Penn Station down to the pizza joint. Penn Station is at 34th, but the pizza place is just below 1st; that's a lotta blocks to walk. Earliest reservation we could get is 2:30, so there's that. I'd prefer to give us at least an hour from the train station to the pizza place; more is not a bad idea.

For those of you driving to Secaucus, the exit is 15X. I think all day parking is still $15 for the day. I know this routine very well. :)

So why not just meet at Secaucus Junction and drive into the city? The major variable is the tunnel; that sucker can get packed on Saturday afternoon. If everyone agrees, I'll drive it - but all bets are off with arrival time.

Ponder that stuff while you start getting your appetites ready. We still have time to finalize.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why not just meet at Secaucus Junction and drive into the city? The major variable is the tunnel; that sucker can get packed on Saturday afternoon. If everyone agrees, I'll drive it - but all bets are off with arrival time.

If you're determined to show off your mad city driving skillz, more power to you-- I'm in, but I call shotgun.  :D

Our reservation is for 2:30pm at Pala, 198 Allen Street, between Houston and Allen.  Their web address is http://www.palapizza.com/info.  Should youz Jerseys decide to take the train from Secaucus to Penn Station, you literally need to walk one single avenue over to Herald Square, and take the F train downtown to 2nd Avenue.  And welcome Momtojandj to the green light list.  Lemme hear a whoop whoop.

YES:

Gabzmom

Just Jen

K-REBat

LisaPop

Mangomom

Michael797

MissingSquish

Momtojandj

MAYBE:

Bluemoon15

mom66

rifatheroffour (Contemplation)

tmwenger

TooSoon (Top Grade)

Michael , whatever works for you guys I'm in.. Also you said Saturday .. April 12th is a Sunday ?

Jen, darn you on shotgun...lol

He meant Sunday. Wid brain. Also, he has a convertible, so if the weather's nice... ;)

This will be my first official bago, and I can hardly stand the wait!! I'm not even kidding about counting down the days. 25 to go!!

I've found that it's a little hard for non-wids to get the concept. I try to explain, but people mostly smile nervously and back away slowly while maintaining eye contact. Lol, not really, but they look a little confused. "Oh... so... you're flying across the country to talk to strangers you met online. Okay, then." Whatever. I'm glad they don't get it. I'm glad y'all DO. ((((HUGS))))

Gabzmom . . . Roll like a New Yorker.  From midtown, find yourself a D train and take it to Houston, N or R trains to Prince Street, or an F train to 2nd Avenue.

Outsiders, no matter how close they are to you, can't possibly understand what we've been through.  On the old Board, we used to call them DGIs?Don't Get Its.  They say things to us like "get over it" or "you're being so dramatic" or "you're using this as a pity party" or (my favorite) they compare our losses to losing a grandparent. BUT, the good news is, no one has to understand what a Wid get together is like, or what the term Bago means.  It's about us, and our respective journeys to Pala on April 12.  But if you're comfortable, yea, you can share bago stories with outsiders, again with no expectations on their ability to truly get it.

Just Jen . . . one of the best Bagos I ever went on is when a Jersey wid and I got on a plane and went to Chicago to meet some others.  It was a total blast.

Gabzmom . . . Roll like a New Yorker.  From midtown, find yourself a D train and take it to Houston, N or R trains to Prince Street, or an F train to 2nd Avenue.

Outsiders, no matter how close they are to you, can't possibly understand what we've been through.  On the old Board, we used to call them DGIs?Don't Get Its.  They say things to us like "get over it" or "you're being so dramatic" or "you're using this as a pity party" or (my favorite) they compare our losses to losing a grandparent. BUT, the good news is, no one has to understand what a Wid get together is like, or what the term Bago means.  It's about us, and our respective journeys to Pala on April 12.  But if you're comfortable, yea, you can share bago stories with outsiders, again with no expectations on their ability to truly get it.

Just Jen . . . one of the best Bagos I ever went on is when a Jersey wid and I got on a plane and went to Chicago to meet some others.  It was a total blast.

That is exactly what I needed, K-REBat!  I like to roll like a local and have no problem with trains.  When a group of us were in NYC this past September, two of the ladies would not take the subway and one wanted to eat at a chain restuarant!  This trip we are going with my BFF and DD and she has the same adventurous bones! 

And you are right - as much as my BFF is my person and gets me more than anyone else I know, she doesn't get why I want to get together with a bunch of wids.  She thinks we are getting together to cry in our coffee. 

I'm looking at hotels.  Trying to decide if I want to stay midtown like usual, or head down towards where the restaurant is located?  What kind of sights are down that way.  We have worn grooves in the midtown pavements with our trips and I WILL NOT have my kiddos to require the usual rockefeller/times square mayhem.

Anyone want to chime in?

Just throwing this out there - do we have a headcount on who's meeting at Secaucus Junction for the train? If it's only four of us, maybe we should just pile in my car and drive directly to the pizza joint. You'll get to experience the tunnel first hand, and the only thing you'll have to worry about is parking at the train station (which is NOT a worry - they've done an amazing job with weekend parking). I'd still want to meet up at the station around 1 pm, though; getting into the city earlier is better than being late. Any consensus here?

Mangomom:

Leave Times Square for the Disney tourists.  Stay downtown and I will personally show you the Lower East Side, Village, Soho, Chinatown . . . my neck of the woods . . . since childhood.

Gabzmom:

I think beer pong is actually an Upper West Side thing.  But I would be happy to take you to an 80s style video arcade with pinball on Essex Street.

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/two-bits-retro-arcade/

Guest TooSoon

I'm still going to have to play this one by ear for another couple of weeks but Michael, could you fit 5 if I can make it (and can we carpool from here?).  I'd really like to come.  A spring afternoon on the LES with you all?  Yes, please!

Okay, Here's the Deal,

In order to leave room for some of our Maybes, I decided to up the reservation.  It will be much easier to lower that number even days before April 12, should the need arise.  As a result there is a time change to 12:30pm.  Is that okay for everyone???  Trust me when I tell you that it's good to have a cushion for last minute wid decisions.  I have made many.

This will also give us some wander around time after lunch, if anyone is interested.  We are going to be in a GREAT neighborhood.

YES:

Gabzmom

Just Jen

K-REBat

LisaPop

Mangomom

Michael797

MissingSquish

Momtojandj

MAYBE:

Bluemoon15

BrokenHeart2 (Intrigued)

mom66

rifatheroffour (Contemplation)

tmwenger

TooSoon (Top Grade)

Hey Youz Guys,

I just wanted to let you travelers know that I received an e-mail from Jetsetter today.  There are a bunch of New York hotel listings.  I included the link below.

BrokenHeart2?Come.  Don't even think about it.  Just come.  Most of us are meeting for the very first time.

--K

http://www.jetsetter.com/search?q=New+York%2C+NY&source=TopNav-nofollow&type=Organic

YES:

Gabzmom

Just Jen

K-REBat

LisaPop

Mangomom

Michael797

MissingSquish

Momtojandj

MAYBE:

Bluemoon15

BrokenHeart2 (Intrigued)