3 Years Ago Today...

my best friend, soulmate, love of my life husband of 27 years died suddenly and unexpectedly. I still love and miss him deeply every day and mourn the fact that he isn't here to finish raising our children together. They are missing out on so much richness in their lives. Even after 3 years, I still feel married, still wear my wedding rings. It is hard to explain to others.

I was thinking this morning about how weird I thought he was when I first met him. No attraction at all. I remember him telling me one evening I was working a split shift that I was going out with him and his friends instead of going home. I distinctly remember saying, "I am not going anywhere with you." I was such a snot. I have no idea why, but he was persistent and kept asking me to go out with his friends and him on several other occasions. I finally agreed one evening hoping it would get him to stop asking me.

Instead, it was the beginning of the most amazing friendship that eventually led to an amazing romance and marriage. That guy who I wanted nothing to do with became the man it has been almost completely unbearable to be without for these past 3 years. I'm going to do my best today to focus on all the incredible times we spent together - how he made me laugh, made me think, helped me grow, was my constant supporter, and showed me deep and abiding love every day.

((HUGS)) to you SVS.  From the ways you've lovingly talked about him over the years, I know your T was an amazing man and I hope you and your children are able to reflect on him and his life today with just as many laughs as tears. 

You have been an amazing beacon of love and support for all of us here, and while I wish you didn't have to be here with us I'm so grateful for all of your advice and your empathy.  You have shown both incredible strength and gentleness.  I hope you don't mind me saying that I think your T would be proud.

Guest TooSoon

I, too, send the hugs.  Today and everyday.  Thank you for being you and for being my friend.  xoxox

Tight hugs to you as you mark this passage of time without your best friend and love. It's not that we need an excuse like a significant date to remember them, because we do every day, but these dates can force us to dig a little deeper.  Each love story is unique and beautiful, thank you for sharing a little bit of yours.

Thank you all so very much for your kind words, support, and hugs. It really has meant a lot to me today and reinforced I have more support than I realize, which I am grateful for. I made it thru the day fairly well, as did our children. I decided to finally take some "me" time to get my hair cut and colored. It was months overdue and I've been embarrassed to go out anywhere. I almost broke into tears as the stylist was rinsing the dye from my hair. She was stroking my hair and massaging my scalp. It brought back the memories of how T would do that when I was under stress or had a headache. I would place my head on his lap and he would massage my head out of the mess it was in. It is those little things that can still slay you when you realize how much you miss them. I was able to hold back the tears, thankfully. I didn't want the stylist to think she had hurt me in some way.

Thank you all again!!

SoVerySad,

Like everyone here, my heart goes out to you as I reflect back on my wife & the little things that she and I did & experienced over 20+ years.

At 4 in the morning,missing your spouse's simple presence in the room....

I apologize for seeing down, I just simply can relate..

Positive thoughts for you,hold tight.

hugs to you and I am so glad you made it through the day

and you had some "me" time for your self

Holding back the tears while getting your hair cut , good for you , not an easy task

but I hope you gave yourself some time to let the tears flow when you needed to

Take care