Long Weekends

I used to love long weekends.  The anticipation of having 3 or 4 days home with DH without having to go to work and getting together with family for a meal and time together.  What happened to my life? 

I dread them now.  Family all happy saying "you have the meal"  not going to happen.  I have 5 siblings and only me to attend this weekend. That would mean 30 or more.  I used to do it with DH and kids but not by myself.  Nope, not interested at all right now.  My 2 stepkids (strained these days thanks to DH sister) are thankfully out of town. 

How is your Easter weekend working for you?

I'm meeting my parents for dinner on Easter Sunday. I keep meaning to invite my mother-in-law over for a pot roast, but I've let the house become an absolute mess of dust, cat hair and unopened mail. It's now a big deal if I socialize with anybody these days.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

How is your Easter weekend working for you?

I still love the long weekends. I don't have any of my siblings near me - I'm the oldest of eight - and all the kids are scattered, with only one coming home for Easter. Still, I'll cook big as we will have a house full. My single neighbor from next door is coming over as well as a bunch of folks from my gym. Most of them are young and single and have moved to the big city for work from wherever. I love a full house.

I did it at Christmas time too. It'll be fun.  :)

Happy Easter - Mike

I had an invite by cousins in law but then I found out that certain people I don't want to see are going to be there- so I'm not going. I don't like anything toxic in my life. So I'm home with my son - and we will have a lazy Easter Sunday and I'll make something good. Used to spend long weekends with bf and/or son but now it's just the two of us since I'm single again. A number of people keep asking what I'm doing for Easter and I get those pity looks when I mention my stay at home plans- but honestly I'm happy for the down time and my 5yr old son is great company.

Yup...I used to look forward to long weekends...an extra day to spend with DH doing something "fun" other than just the daily routine and chores.  Now I fit in the "fun" with friends instead and actualy took a day to do this last weekend.  Not the same, but definitely helps with weekends that are usually spent alone.

The only good thing about this weekend is that my son is home.  So I get to spend time with him.  Easter Sunday will be going to my mothers...the same tradition from always...  I'm apprehensive since we are approaching the 3 year sadiversary so I know my mood can change without warning and their cheerfulness, "isn't life grand" attitude can just rub me the wrong way.  So I'm guarded.  Thankfully I'll have my son with me and my favorite sister and a case of Seagram's!

I decided I am going to be more proactive about upcoming holidays and making plans after spending Easter alone. One holiday where I tend to feel really alone is July 4th - I feel like EVERYONE has somewhere to go, family to see, friends throwing parties. The past 2 years I spent with BF and/or son at his Maine house but since I am now single I didn't want to be sitting at home this year, feeling sorry for myself. The first 2 years after my husband died, I was home with my baby son, just feeling like crap as my DH and I used to throw the best parties on July 4th ! I felt more alone that weekend than most.

So...on a whim I booked a condo on the ocean in Cape Cod for the week of July 4th, in a very quiet area but near lots of amenities. I am so excited ! My son and I will just relax and hang out for the week - and now we have our own July 4th plans and will create our own holiday memories : ) The condo is literally right on the beach, with amazing views of Nantucket Sound with huge widows around the front of the condo and a huge private wrap around porch with a grill. Will invite a few local friends to join us for a day or two and I will host a few dinner parties : )

CW...good for you, enjoy it!

For me Easter is not a long weekend, work on Friday and often part of Saturday, then the afternoon with my parents and brother and usually some other family as well.  I am camping with the boy scouts over the 4th this year so that's covered.  Memorial day is our local art show weekend which I have volunteered for many years and my wife had a booth there as well.  My SIL had taken over her space and we continue to support the event so that weekend is covered.

My worst long weekend is Labor day...as many people I know end up having some sort of party.  I have hosted as well since she died but the time I had nothing going on other than home with kids was so focused on how alone I felt.  That is not to say I don't feel alone on any of the other long weekends and holidays despite being with others.  It is the feeling that I have not found something to do for the kids that bothers me more.  Despite the fact that I know they are all old enough to entertain themselves.

Then during the holiday season long weekends my work keeps me too busy to get much time off and then there's family to visit etc etc.  At least while I still have kids home I don't expect them to be anymore challenging than they have been so far.  Once the kids are grown and gone...well I have no idea how I'm going to deal with that...I used to...