I did it! I am the IT Master!

ieh21

I bought a new computer. I installed it. I eventually figured out that no, they don't update peripheral drivers indefinitely and yes at some point when your peripherals are older than your eldest child, you have no choice but to change them. Yes ieh21, even when they still work so well and what a waste of money and the earth will surely collapse under the weight of these prematurely discarded printers. Go to Staples and get a nice modern inkjet that does duplexing in colour.

It was a wee bit sad. Joe was our IT expert. And he was not a dilettante, this was his thing. He found us a fujitsu scanner in 2009 that was very cute and useful at a time when scanners werent so prevalent. Sadly Apple progressed from Lion to El Capitan and I have to say goodbye to our little magic scanner. I have to say goodbye to these objects that represent him so symbolically. Dismantling his imprint one power cord at a time.

What's left is what he taught me. How to research these things, how to determine my needs, how to resolve IT problems (well, other than yell "Joooooooooeeeeee! This doesn't wooooorkkkk!")

Thank you Joe. I never knew I had learned that much. I was listening better than you thought I was.

Another slice of my life. I'm glad to have a place to share it.

Good for you!  Both of my husbands were IT gurus and I relied on them heavily.  The most painful thing I had to do in terms of going through "stuff" was dismantling my first husband's computer, which had fried its motherboard (or so I am told!)  I haven't touched John's computers yet...almost 2 years later.  It is just too painful.  But...I know he prompted me to try to figure some things out for myself, and that has paid off some in the last couple of years.  I'm still a bit of a luddite...at least in my university circle, but I HAVE learned and I'm more competent than I was in this arena.

Kudos to you.  I haven't yet tried to change anything that I have....

Maureen

Wow. I'm impressed!!

My husband was my computer guy. He lived and breathed computers. His job for 20 years was working for a company that backed up the school districts. He loved, loved, loved his job. For him, it was not work. He would work all day then come home and be on our computer. To think that I used to get mad at him because if I wanted to talk to him I'd have to talk to the back of his head while he was at the computer!

I've learned a lot, too. First, it was from the lady at Bank of America. My husband paid all our bills on line, and I did not even know the password to get into the bank account. I now pay our bills on line.

We, too, have replaced our home computer twice since he's been gone (9 years now). But, thankfully, my one son has taken over the duties of being my IT tech. He learned well from his Dad.

I often wonder what technology my husband would have now. He did not even have a smart phone. The world has changed so much over the last 9 years.

I think of him now up in Paradise with the best, fastest, newest computer ever that never crashes. He now never has to go back into work when the power goes out, or to backup the systems over the holidays. May he rest in peace!

Good for you! My husband was our IT person as well. I've slowly figured out some things. Right now I'm stuck on installing my printer on the laptop I bought months ago. It keeps almost getting there, then stops. Argh! I also can't attach Word docs, etc. to emails for some unknown reason. It sounds like you did learn a lot from your husband. I was lost at some of the language in your post. I can understand the feeling of sadness that you felt along with your pride. If you change your mind about being IT master, I think you should think about being a writer. I've noticed your gift for masterfully using imagery in your posts.

Congrats on your mastery of the new computer and peripherals. ElCap is taking down a lot of peripherals. There are some workarounds using Windows drivers on Macs. Oh, how the might have fallen. ;)

I think Steve is spinning.

Very cool to read you feel the positive impact your late husband left with you.

There's a world of wisdom shared between husband and wife,its sorta the fruit of the relationship,from careful pruning and caring for our relationship overtime.

Positive thoughts go out to you,I've yet to feel those feelings,but I realize one day they'll come.

It is a good feeling when we realize we mastered lessons from our lost love. So many times I realize that I was able to do something because he taught me. Nice warm memories and the good feeling of still being cared for.

• 4 weeks later...

ieh21,

You rock. You are truly the IT Master! I've killed a few hours today setting up a new Mac and having fantasies about Windows. That's a first for me. El Cap took down one printer, the color jet unit. After several hours the new Mac can see the printer on the network but not talk to it.

I still can use the monochrome laser so I guess that's good. The scanner is up and running but I had to work hard for that. Administering my old AE required workarounds since Mountain Lion. May work on that when I get bored just for fun. Doubt there will be progress.

Setup was from Time Machine. Should have been easy. Not so much. Hope I don't lose data. I have a plea on the Apple Support Communities for help preserving my data. Glad I didn't upgrade the older Mac. At least I can get stuff there unless El Cap makes it disappear.

I miss Steve :(

Enjoy your computer. You really accomplished something getting up and running. I've been doing this a long time but this one was a trip!