One of my students took his life last night

He was a bright and quirky 16 year old in our college program for gifted high school juniors and seniors. I didn't see this coming at all. I wish I knew what tormented him so much that he took his life. He had so much potential. His classmates are a mess, especially the one who found him.

Thanks for listening.

Maureen

Thank you, everyone.  I didn't have any place to vent some of this angst this morning.  I was able to get my co-worker to relieve me on one job so I could go to my other practicum job with these really great students in our high school/college program for students gifted in math and science.  I had an appointment scheduled with this student at 3:30 today...I still haven't deleted it and subsequent appointments from my calendar.  I watched an amazing team from the university and this program pull together today and support the student's mother and the student's classmates.  I'm grateful to be part of this university team.

I feel so much for this mother (dad was killed in a house fire about 2 1/2 years ago) knowing she now needs to bury her only child.  She now will bring his possessions home and plan a funeral.  She must be just stunned.

Maureen

Thank you, Wifeless.  I thought of your story today and paraphrased it for a couple of students who were trying to process what they could have done.  They had know he had been stressed, but he seemed happier.  Even I had seen him Monday and he seemed happy and laughing with his friends.

Thanks again...and hugs to you and Bluebird.

Maureen

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.  The student's funeral is today.  The university is busing any student that wants to attend to the funeral, which is 3 1/2 hours from school.  Some of these students also have science competitions this weekend and administrators have juggled all kinds of arrangements for students to get to everything.  I'm on staff for an all-day competition called Destination Imagination tomorrow.  We leave this evening, connect with a bus coming from the funeral and head on to our hotel for the night.  I have two other graduate students on my team with these teenagers and I know we will have a successful weekend, not only in the competition (no matter how the students perform) but also in continuing to support and debrief the kids we have with us.

I'm finding my footing in this whole experience.  I spent 26 years in health care and I have faced a multitude of crises over those years and I'm finding that I can function well when the crisis is really about other people.  Many of you know that I really struggled to function after my second husband died.  Although I have found this week to be sad, overwhelming and stressful, I still have held it together and I haven't devolved into panic.  I'm grateful to be maintaining some level of focus and function.  I've managed to release some of my angst to a couple of my fellow wids and that is appreciated.  I also work within the counseling department at school, so I am surrounded by good people.  Students continue to talk with me and my dog, too, who has taken on a therapeutic role with this group of kids this semester.

Lets hope the weekend goes well and the kids get some diversion in their competitions.

Maureen