Online Dating Photos

Mac

Just to throw out another possibility - you've heard of "bitchy resting face"?

Now I am not sure why people would use a pic of their version of a "neutral" face rather than pose and try to look inviting, but some are opposed to faking photos and want others to know that "yeah, I look like this. it's not personal and nothing is wrong." But being someone who is often told to "smile, it's not so bad!" or asked "are you okay?", I find assumptions about my inner feelings based on the fact that I have a crooked mouth that normally turns down at the corners rather than form a straight line of curl up - wearying.

This is just an fyi post to, by the way. The vid is meant to be humorous.

There have been "studies" where they claim that men are more attracted to women when they smile in these types of pictures, where the converse, women find men less attractive when they smile in these types of pictures.

I've seen a few articles quoting said "studies", but then I see individual comments that oppose this (like this thread).

Who knows if any of it is actually true.

I'm surprised by the number of people who post photos where they look mean, unhappy or angry.

What are you doing perusing those sites?  ;)

I haven't been on the dating sites at all, but I would share your concern for a less than positive picture.  And, seriously?  Even "BRF" goes away with a smile.  Live a little people!!  Show your good side! (Says the girl who has never had a picture without a smile - I even flashed a big one for the relatives that wanted a picture with family at his funeral before they went back to Cananda...)

Both of my children do hope that I will find a woman to have a long-term committed relationship with and they are very supportive in that department.

DD was encouraging early on. "Dad, you have taken good care of yourself, you should get some new jeans that show that." She was also looking over my shoulder when I was building an online profile. I was going to post a selfie. "Dad, trust me don't post that photo." My response: "But I think that it looks pretty good." Her response: "Dad trust me, it doesn't." I did trust her and didn't post it.

Guest nonesuch

There have been "studies" where they claim that men are more attracted to women when they smile in these types of pictures, where the converse, women find men less attractive when they smile in these types of pictures.

I've seen a few articles quoting said "studies", but then I see individual comments that oppose this (like this thread).

Who knows if any of it is actually true.

Do the men have teeth?

Guest Lost35

So, now I'm all concerned about whether or not I have "BRF".  I thought about it just this morning.  Hmmm.  I can think of a few times when random people (men) told me to "smile" but I (incorrectly?) put this down to some deep-seated insecurity on their part.  I was perfectly happy at the time.  Gasp.

I do refuse to wear glasses and when I do, they are weaker than I need, so admittedly, I have "anger lines" on my forehead that I try to ignore.  Sigh.  When I'm nice, with potential BRF, do I just confuse people???  Argh.

It's. all. too. confusing. 

>:( , I mean  ;D

-L.