OT: PTSD Related

SoVerySad

So 17 months ago, my children and I were hit head on by a drunk driver. I've been dealing with PTSD symptoms since. I have not driven on the road the accident happened on since it happened. I have a new friend who lives farther out on that road, meaning I may need to travel that road at some point in the near future. I think it is time for me to face that drive. Do you think it would be best to have someone drive me as a passenger first or just drive myself with a friend along? I don't want to have the kids with me, because it was worst for my daughter having to be cut out of our vehicle. I'd like to gain comfort with it myself before driving them past that area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm tired of feeling so scared all the time, so I'm trying to face some of my fears and leave them behind.

Guest TooSoon

Hi honey,  I would get a friend to drive it with you a couple of times, as many times as you need to, without a destination or time frame.  Do it with him/her again until you feel comfortable doing it on your own again, until you feel like it is just a road like any other road.  I know you can do this.  If I was closer, I would do it with you.  xoxox

It's great that you want to face your fears.  I have always admired you; you have good ideas on how to handle the situation.  Take it in steps - have a friend drive you and when you are ready, you drive with a friend as the passenger.  Feeling scared all the time is exhausting.  I agree with TooSoon - "I know you can do this".  We are your cheerleaders.

SVS  I too think that having a friend drive you on the road first is a good idea.  I would also make sure that the friend knows what you've been through, and that the drive needs to be handled in a sensitive way.  Maybe go for lunch on the way, try to make it as positive an experience as you can. 

You can do this.  Big hugs ~ 

Good for you facing things head on. I would have a friend drive, go at a different time of day and don't go the  same route as you took before.  I might try driving back yourself. I found that a different direction, different time of day ... What ever helped. Be prepared to take it easy after. It might or might not bother you like you expect. You can do this!!!

Thank you all for your advice. I may try it this week if my friend is available. I'm really uneasy, but like I said, I'm ready to get rid of some of these fears. I am leaving my lifelong fear of clowns alone for right now, LOL. T and I once went on vacation to a hotel that we didn't know was having a clown convention. We couldn't find a vacancy anywhere else so had to stick it out. Worst vacation ever!