A new life awaits

Eddienhp

My husband died just about 5 years ago. Since then I have been dealing with becoming a single mother to two small children and working out tons of debt left behind. I am getting very close to working out the last debt negotiation. This one is a little stressful because it involves my home and I was served papers. I have been blessed with a lawyer who has been helping me at no cost. There is a strange sense of peace around me. I keep smelling cigarette smoke yet I don't see any smokers around. I know it is my husband trying to make his presence known. I am not panicking but I am nervous. Some of my friends are panicking. They can't imagine being in my position. It frightens them. I have gotten used to it as I have been negotiating debt for close to 5 years now. It will be a tremendous relief to be done with all of it. It certainly will free up a lot of time and ease my worries.

With that said, a new life awaits. No longer chained down with financial issues that need to be dealt with. Beyond active grieving. I've reached the point where sadness doesn't rule my daily life. It will be time for me to step into my version of chapter 2. I do not have nor seek a new man in my life. I am too busy raising two kids under 10 by myself. I am a mom of a special needs child. I work full time in my own business. My chapter 2 is focused on raising my children to be independent and employable adults with good sense of morals, fiscal responsibility and self worth. I want to enjoy our free time together. I want to live and breathe a little easier now the instability of housing status will be removed. I look forward to being more free of stress. It is refreshing to be at the end of the tunnel. It is actually freeing.

So, here is to the new chapter of life that awaits me!

Eileen

I'm amazed at your determination and patience throughout these past five years.  You should be very proud of the way you have kept your family afloat during such stressful times, especially on top of the emotional toll of losing your husband.  I'm thrilled that you will finally have that weight off your shoulders and have some financial relief and security.  Best wishes for an enjoyable and peaceful Chapter 2.  You and your children deserve it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It is finally over!!! I have successfully worked out the last of the debt negotiations. Now I just have to continue to be blessed with the money to pay the commitments I made. LOL!

In the meantime a new business venture came my way. It is involving a nonprofit that helps people with disabilities lead independent lives out in the general community. It is perfect for me because it is predominently financial managment of program funds. Also because my 10 year old has autism/adhd and is in the same program so I understand it very well. It will alleviate the seasonal work deadlines I face now by spreading the work more evenly throughout the year. I never meant to be in my current position this long. It is a nice career but way to demanding especially for a widowed mom. Ahhhh, relief!

In the first few weeks following the final debt negotiation, I was totally exhausted; physically and mentally. Now I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me. It is easier to breathe. I can think clearly and be more focused. I am actually able to accomplish more. I can finally move on. I have closed the chapter on surviving and have opened the chapter of renewal. What a welcome relief!

Raise that glass, CanadianGirl!!

Thanks for sharing this journey with me. I couldn't have done this without all of you.

Eileen