Should I be mad??

My son said that he noticed my brother wearing my husband's favorite hat. This was my husbands winter hat he wore every year! I'm pissed because he didn't ask! I shouldn't have to hide my husband's things in MY HOUSE!!! But now I feel like I have to. Am I being irrational that I want to punch him and his wife in the face for this?? And I only say her because, she knew it was my SO's hat! She could have said something. But instead, I found out from my 15 year old. Ugh!!!!

Hell yes! You have every right to demand it's return, it wouldn't be petty or rude. You can do it politely and firmly. Of course, dependinding on the extended situation, you may want to pick your battles, but it is absolutely yours and they took it. Good luck

After DH's death, his brother started wearing all his clothes, even cut his hair like DH's had been.  I didn't have the complication of children who could be upset by it, just my own shaken, traumatized, disturbed feelings.  I let it go and didn't address it - he was missing his brother and dealing with it in his way.  I did have a really hard time looking at him, though. 

It's the assumptive attitude. That attitude reigned supreme with my husband's brother, too. He kept several of D's things and never asked if he could have them. I have two sons who may have wanted these things, and in my mind should have had first dibs.