I'm Grateful For Much - Things Are Going Well - But...

Mac

I'm grateful for much. Things are going well socially. But sometimes I do think that it would be all right if were slightly more lonely or slightly more needy. It might mean that I would have more motivation to be in a relationship

Mac, that sounds great to me!  I wish I was where you're at.  I thought I was doing pretty well, but then had a melt down today.  Easter does happen to be a trigger of grief for me.

I do have to remind myself that I also have plenty to be grateful for.  This healing process is just taking a lot longer than I could have imagined.

Keep up with the positive feelings, for I know it helps me take a closer look at my life.

I enjoy being alone too... My mom used to tell me that she always knew sending me to my room when I was in trouble was not much of a punishment, because I could be content all by myself anytime.  I'm still that way.

Guest TooSoon

I'm the same way.  Even as a child, I would just escape with a book or my diaries and from the time I was a teenager through my twenties I spent a lot of time abroad alone just sort of doing my thing - walking, sitting in cafes, taking photographs, sitting in parks and people watching.  When I got my job here, I was all alone and made up things to do.  I went to thrift stores and flea markets; I was completely broke but went to open houses just to look at pretty old buildings in town.  Dont get me wrong - I'm really good at avoiding things I don't want to deal with (taxes) but I enjoy my own company and I enjoy quiet.  Is that strange?

I always tell my female students that every woman should have the experience of living on one's own and learning to be comfortable with the silence of one's own company - I suppose this would also apply to my male students but somehow it only ever seems to come up with the women who are far more open with me about their fears and feelings. 

My husband was an artist and would escape to his studio after work and stay there long into the night.  He would stay up late and sleep late and I'd go to bed early and get up early.  I can't recall it ever really bothering me, except right after the baby was born and I had to sort of suggest he might adjust the art making routine a bit.....But god knows it is a skill that has served me well these past two + years. 

Rather than view it as an impediment, I would think of it as a strength.  You have your own interests and are content in your own skin.  Being independent is an asset, not a liability, in my book.  As to relationships, I remain firmly in the "you don't find a relationship, a relationship finds you" camp.  In solidarity! 

It might mean that I would have more motivation to be in a relationship.

I've thought this as well, but then I figure if loneliness is driving me into a relationship I'm not sure I'm getting myself into something that's good for me.  Right now I'd really like to be in a relationship, but I think I've set such high standards that it may not happen for some time.  And right now I'm okay with that. Maybe next month I won't be :)

I'm alright spending time by myself but I do miss having someone to love, to cherish and to love and cherish me.  I miss mattering to someone.  I want to have someone to share the little things with, the joys and the struggles.  It's not about loneliness as much as it is just wanting to love, be loved and to feel the security and contentment of that love.  It's such a wonderful feeling to know love, security and commitment.  I miss it.