Family vacation

Trying

5 days in Florida, just my 3 boys and me and it was wonderful.  My oldest was able to enjoy our family time, everyone got along and we had so much fun.  I had a few moments where I really wished DH was with us, when it would've been nice to have some grown up time, but for the most part we felt like a very complete family.  Not the kind of family any of us would have chosen but still some how complete.  I know that it was vacation bliss and my oldest still has a lot of work to do to get his life back on track but I am feeling more hopeful than I have in a while. 

Glad you had a wonderful vacation!  Like Sugarbell, my first try at vacationing without DH was a disaster.  But now we are pros at it. Getting used to traveling as a solo parent is difficult at best.  Glad your's went well.

The kids and I just got back from Myrtle Beach, which is where DH and I spent our honeymoon.  I expected major tears but somehow that never happened and the kids and I had a great time.

Now, if only I could have brought some of that sunshine back to WNY - it would have been perfect.

Awesome! I know I need at least one a year.  I had traveled alone with my daughter before dh died; but by the time he died I had our son too.  That escape from the day to day grind even if it is just for an evening at a sporting event (which is really helpful because you can scream and look normal) or a weekend out of town or a week away.  It has been so important to us.

So glad it went well.

Traveling alone with my kids is not a big deal because they are older and I have done some traveling alone here and there since they were little.  Last year I took #2 and #3 to Florida while #1 was on a swim team trip and we had a blast.  #1 has been going through such a tough time and I was worried about him being trapped with us in a hotel room and having to spend so much family time together.  I am so relieved that he was able to enjoy his time with us and let me be the parent and there was absolutely no drama.  Hopefully he will start making some positive steps and get back on track.  It was wonderful to see the boy I always knew is still in there.

I'm glad you had a good time!

I asked my daughters about planning a vacation over spring break, but they all agreed they weren't ready to go on a family vacation without their dad. Well, last Friday as soon as my youngest daughter (7) got home from school she had this weird look on her face. She said, "when are we leaving for Walt Disney World? I want to go!" I'm sure all of her friends were talking about where they were going. Lol! I told her you just can't pick up and go to Walt Disney World. We would have to plan it. I'm guessing they'll be ready to vacation somewhere later this year, or definitely next year.