When your subconscious takes over

Today, I've been feeling a bit teary and shit in the office.  Initially, I attributed it to having a heavy weekend but actually, for a change, my weekend wasn't so alcohol fuelled!  So what is it that's bugging me?

I looked at the date about half an hour ago.  It's exactly 18 months since Elle died. I think my subconscious registered this and it's now manifesting itself in anxiety and being on the brink of tears.

I've been determined not to count the days or months since Elle died - it's not like she's MORE dead and, for me, it's important to look forward to my life, not back with sadness. As the song goes in Rent, I measure my life in love.

Does anyone else get this?  Feel sad without reason and then realise it's actually a significant date?

I get this Grace.

I was determined to stop counting dates, as well.  But it doesn't work that way. I call it "the calendar of the heart"  and it just sneaks up on you on those days. Days that we really didn't pay alot of mind to in our marriage. Anniversaries, hallmark card days. Yeah, I have those "aha" moments every so often.

(( grace ))

Inevitably, when I'm feeling anxious and on edge or teary it is due to some anniversary. Sometimes it is related to my husband's death but it can also be other key times. I firmly believe my subconscious keeps track, even when I don't.

(((grace)))- 18 months can be tough.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I'm feeling fine today!

Calendar of the heart is an excellent way to describe it! How peculiar.  As I say, I don't keep track so it was really weird for this to happen.

Elle's birthday and my wedding anniversary are next month so I know to expect some emotional hiccups around then. Sigh.  Don't know whether to take the days off work or not.

Now my consciousness has taken over. It's Elle's birthday next week and my wedding anniversary in a month. I never spent a wedding anniversary with her. She'll forever be 26. How can this be? I don't get it. Never in a million years did I think I'd be in this position, rebuilding, living, but without my love.