laid off

Needytoo

I have been working at a local college on contract basis for the last four years.  I generally love the job but of course there is a few pit falls because as we know  life isn?t perfect.  The Dean (my boss) each semester has been cutting my hours.  So basically I am doing a full time job in 24 hours a week.  My counterpart basically doesn?t do a thing but she doesn?t address it.  He is the full time hire that can get away with anything.    The Dean has admitted to me and other people that the other guy has to go but she does nothing about it.  The only way I see it that I will get a full time position is if my counterpart gets another position in the college, but what I hear from other people other departments don?t want him either.  I knew I would be getting laid off for the summer but I thought I would at least be working in May.  The Dean got her assistant to email me and gives me my layoff notice.  Wow she couldn?t even say it to my face. She has to be the worse manager going. So I am facing the truth I need to find another job.  Unfortunately there isn?t much in my field so this will mean relocation.  I am terrified.  Finally was putting my life back together and then slapped like this.  When does it end? 

Thanks for reading my vent. 

Guest TooSoon

In all of my many years in an academic setting I will never understand management's choices on these matters.  I've watched and winced as the University has taken total advantage of our gallery director according to their whims for over a decade, never rewarding her with the permanent position she has more than earned.  It makes me sick. 

Not sure what your field is or where you are located but if you want to pm me, I might have some contacts.  I'm in PA but know people at universities all over the place.

I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best! 

I am so sorry you have to find new work.  It is hard but this will give you an opportunity to find a better job and maybe know where you will fit in best.  I am on that journey now.  Many interviews so far no hire as of yet.  1,000's of miles from home and trying to figure out a new life.  Maybe this is the best place for me at the moment.  I have a few great people helping me.  8-9 months is very hard.  This brake has done some good.

Wishing you the best! 

Sorry you need to find a new job but it has to be draining your soul to work in that situation. I have never been one to shy away from change until now. After my husband died I can't even tolerate the smallest change without a near breakdown so it is easy to understand not wanting to change anything much less a job and possible relocation. I hope you find a healthier situation.

Not sure how I am doing. Last weekend I was much more in a frame of mind that we most likely will have to relocate.  This week at my work lots of talk of good things that are going to be happening that will give me full time employment. It sure does get my hopes up. Yesterday did a fund raiser with a bunch of people and my sons came as well.  We all had such a blast.  The kids and I have come so far and the thought of moving and doing the restart on life again just isn't sitting well with me. I hate being confused. 

How is the great job search going for you?

needytoo,

I am glad you and your kids have been able to have a good time.  I know it is hard to be confused and not know the next step.  I am still there but I have decided I will try my best not to worry and try to take one day at a time.  I have been able to meet so many great people here that are willing to be my friend and encourage me the best they know how.  I have been blessed with that.  Hopefully soon I will know where I should work or where I should be.  Until then I am glad I have the opportunity to be with great people! 

Best of luck finding the right place. 

Amor