Grey's Anatony

MissinGrizz

How do producers know that cry, that visceral scream when all is lost? Damn, I shouldn't have watched Grey's Anatomy. I gave it up for a year after my husband died, but my daughter wants to be a  doctor and I got back into it. The car accident .... That part not as real... Derek looking perfect with just a tube so he can still die as McDreamy while my Michael lost half his face. But that gutteral scream, the cries, the shock....all of that they got right, not in the original episode but in the two-hour one that followed. Five years four months later I still hear those screams from within like an out of body experience .

I was dreading watching the accident one but I did even though I knew what was coming. It didn't get to me. It wasn't like my experience for many reasons even though DH was also a car crash victim. The second 2 hr one got me more.

The scream. I know it. I heard it first when a friend from high school died and her sister screamed at her funeral. I heard it second in training when a patient died and the mother screamed like that. And then it was me.

The worst for me was when she found things in his white coat. I did that too in dh's white coat. I have that memory.

I agree, the accident didn't get me as much. The two-hour episode did, and I felt I needed to watch it, as it wove in lots of other story lines which would make me lost.

I did like how it went over the course of nine months. They needed to show grief isn't over right away, but at the same time, people aren't going to watch all of their grief for the next year. This way, they show the passage of time and how the grief is still there, but we get to miss the day-to-day stuff.

I'm so glad someone started this thread!

I just recently started watching this show again even though my husband actually died in the hospital, but surprisingly it hasn't been as traumatizing as I thought.

Then, I was kind of excited to discover that there would be a fellow widow on tv ( I mean it sucks for McDreamy), but I was actually disappointed by the 9 month flyby, because I was so looking forward to it showing people the day to day agonies of grief: not eating, crying non stop, not sleeping, walking around in a fog, memory loss, pain

Tonight is the night I finally can sit down and watch the 2 hour special.  I've actually intentionally avoided it a couple weeks cause the one where Derek died messed me up for DAYS.

I finally watched the 2 hr.  When she was laying in the bed without him, that got me. 

I've watched it since the beginning but I may stop.  I still have my own grief issues, really don't want to watch somebody pretend to have them 

I wish we all had the opportunity to just leave our jobs, our homes, our life and run away to grieve.  That part was so unrealistic.  And her not letting anybody know she was ok?  That was mean, cruel and selfish.  A text to the people who loved her would have been nice. 

I don't know, I just don't know.

I have to comment here, because I've been watching this show for 11 seasons and it made me mad for a couple of times but this time they went way to far. After my partner died this was the only show I could watch. At the end of every episode I cried, but in a weird way it helpped me. Then the episode where Derek died happened. I saw the spoiler on news but I watched it anyway. I was so mad, because I knew what they will do in next episode. And they proved me right. Like @MissinGrizz said, they did stupid Hollywood. I mean seriouslly, she got pregnant the last night they were together??? Can they make it any more bullshit?

Oh and of course they skipped all the reality part in the next two hour episode. That made me even more angry. Like you could just run away for a year and then everything is all right again.

I have to admit that in this week episode I cried again at the end. Because they did make up for me (only for like 2%) with a little reality they showed and it was similar to mine. The part where she says that the house was always theirs and not her. I so get that but sadly I don't have a house on my own where I could just run to. I could go to my parents house, but that would cause too much stress. And the part where Amelia was screaming at her abouth how she decided everything on her own. I can relate to that but I was Amilia in my situation. My MIL decided on everything and I didn't even see him after death.

I'm still not sure on should I watch this show in future or not. It's only one more episode and then whole season to decide should I continue or not.

Sorry this post is so long but man was I mad, so I had to put it out.

Oh, I have to share my best Meredith's speach:

The fact that I know this will never end, scares the sh... out of me!