Fresh new daily kick to the gut...

MrsT85

So I'm in Chicago - I live in one of the more affordable residential areas, and take the train daily to my job downtown.  And now that it's getting near summer and vacation time, there are new ad campaigns going up for various states/cities/etc to try and attract tourists.  Unfortunately for me, one of the cities that put up a couple new billboards at my regular downtown train stop is the (very lovely) Galena, IL.

Galena was our home away from home.  The very first vacation we ever took together was to an amazing B&B there, and we fell so in love with the place.  We ended up returning to that same B&B 7 or 8 times over our 8.5 years together.  We dragged our whole families out and had our beautiful wedding there.  We already had our cabin reserved for our yearly early-May trip when died.  We loved that little town so much.  So many amazing memories we made there.

And now I every day I see a picture of that quaint little main street that we walked down so many times over the years.  I recognize the goddamn stretch of street.  I can picture us walking hand in hand down the sidewalk.  And it just hurts like hell. 

I'm considering getting off the stop before mine, so I don't have to face this daily emotional kick to the gut.  If tradition held, Tim and I would likely be there this week.  Maybe we'd have to rent one of the bigger cottages at our B&B, so we would have a place for the baby we had hoped to have by now.  We'd maybe carry little Morgan or Ian down to the field where we set up the tent for the wedding, and dance around with them on the same patch of grass that our dance floor was set up on.  Where we danced to Iron and Wine's cover of "Such Great Heights" for the very time as Mr.&Mrs. Tim.

The end of this month would have been our 6th wedding anniversary.  And I just can't face the Galena billboards right now.  And I needed to tell someone, and knew you'd all understand.  So thanks for reading. 

I hear you - we were planning to go to Tahiti for his 30th birthday.  Oops, died at 28.  My brother and his wife just went to Tahiti on their honeymoon.  I was horrified: Tahiti should have stopped existing when he died.  Period.  (Yes, I realize how irrational this is.  Oh well.)  I feel your pain!

I'm sorry for the hurt the billboard is causing you, MrsTim. I really do understand how painful it must be for you. The image you painted of what your life might have been like right now if only things had been different brought me to tears. You should have gotten the opportunity to live out those dreams.

Tight, tight hugs....

The end of this month would have been our 6th wedding anniversary.  And I just can't face the Galena billboards right now.  And I needed to tell someone, and knew you'd all understand.  So thanks for reading. 

That's why we come here to "talk", no one gets it like we do....and I am so sorry you have to face this painful reminder everyday.  (((HUGS)))