Guest oneoftwo

Pay attention to what you buy-

don't buy crap you don't need

pay extra where you can and get better quality, longer lasting stuff

live within your means-

and save for a rainy day

And also, treat yourself now and then- go on vacation, buy an ice cream

Spend your extra cash on experiences, not 'stuff'

I rarely use paper towels- one roll can last me months. Instead, I have two canisters in the kitchen that I keep rags in and I just use those then throw 'em in with the laundry- unless the job is too gross, then I simply throw away. My favorite rags are cut up old flannel sheets. I also use cloth napkins- i prefer 100% cotton. I find cute ones at the thrift stores or I cut out big squares of fabric with pinking sheers so they don't require any sewing. I just made some super cute ones out of a vintage dress that had seen better days.

I grow many of my herbs. This can be done in pots, if space is a problem. I dry out a bunch in the Fall for winter use.

Craigslist and Next Door always have free stuff for the taking- but it can go quick! I've gotten free firewood, dirt, mulch, plants, pots, furniture, Weber grill.

i love my bread machine. I can make super fancy or heathy breads for pennies. Actually, if you love baked goods as much as I do, it's cheaper to make them yourself and then freeze- cookies, scones, muffins, fruit bread or cake sliced into servings.

I rarely use paper towels- one roll can last me months. Instead, I have two canisters in the kitchen that I keep rags in and I just use those then throw 'em in with the laundry- unless the job is too gross, then I simply throw away. My favorite rags are cut up old flannel sheets.

I bought a package of 36 polyester cloths from Costco about 4 or 5 years ago. They're meant for drying cars, but I use them in place of paper towels. They dry so quickly that I don't bother putting them in the drawing. I still have at least 12 or 15 of these that are still in the original package. What triggered this purchase was realizing that the cloths cost about the same as a 12-roll paper towel package at the supermarket.

Living alone, I use paper towels for napkins,  then re-use them for cleaning. I use only 1 or 2 half-sheets per day. The typical final use is straining the grounds from my french press coffee maker.

i love my bread machine. I can make super fancy or heathy breads for pennies. Actually, if you love baked goods as much as I do, it's cheaper to make them yourself and then freeze- cookies, scones, muffins, fruit bread or cake sliced into servings.

I may get one of these. I make a lot of soups and stews during the winter, and I usually like to have some bread to go with that.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

I recommend the zojirushi mini-bread machine. It's perfect for a smaller household. I also suggest getting one of those giant recipe books with, like, 300 bread machine recipes, though King Arthur Flour has excellent on-line recipes. (Also- instead of buying bread flour, I use all-purpose and add gluten.)

Nice to see a fellow rag user! I pretty much just use my paper towels to wipe out the cast iron. I am also a fellow French press user- all grounds go into the compost, or roses, of course...

I may get one of these. I make a lot of soups and stews during the winter, and I usually like to have some bread to go with that.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

The bread machine is an excellent suggestion. Look for one with a timer. If you do a lot of soups and stews you'll love this. There is nothing like returning home on a cold evening to the aroma of freshly baked bread and a hot meal.

Prep was the prior evening. Crock was assembled and refrigerated overnight. Everything went in the bread machine except the liquid. In the morning all I had to do was place the refrigerated crock in the slow cooker and add liquid to the bread machine. Great for getting out of the house in a hurry.

Maybe it's all the years of my childhood spent in the Far East (Navy brat), but I am a huge fan of rice cookers. Perfect every time whether white, wild, brown, or mixed. Some models come with a timer for planning ahead, and can be used for other things- like hot cereal.

This last year I started making my own yogurt and I can't believe how easy it is! Not to mention much less expensive. I use a heating pad on low wrapped around the jars to keep a steady temp while the yogurt is being made. I also started making my own granola. Not only is it cheaper, but it's a lot healthier because I use much less sugar and fat.

Sometimes I think I must be reincarnated from someone raised during the depression because I derive way too much pleasure in being thrifty.