4 Cancer Charities Accused in F.T.C. Fraud Case

Mac

4 Cancer Charities Accused in F.T.C. Fraud Case

What a shame. Especially when there are so many good charities.

The Federal Trade Commission and all 50 states on Tuesday accused four cancer charities of being ?sham charities,? charging that the groups had deceived donors, misspending more than $187 million in donations, in one of the largest charity fraud cases ever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/business/4-cancer-charities-accused-in-ftc-fraud-case.html

This is so very sad, when there are so many people in the world suffering and in need of treatments and cures, that that money could have contributed to. When people like this are out there, stealing money, deceiving innocent people, and getting caught for fraud, it makes good people hesitant to donate to any of the charities, including the worthy ones that do make a difference. I agree with you, Mac. "What a shame."

Do you REALLY think that the Cancer Charities are helping? Since they started, cancer has skyrocketed, and we are no closer to a cure. It is a HUGE money making business.  Not really worth it to come up with a cure. Do you think your hard earned dollars actually go to help finding a cure? IF you are lucky, MAYBE a few pennies on a dollar. The rest goes for some ones salary, HUGE house and beautiful car and amazing vacations.. really excellent nice expensive living, and I know it is more than probably the amount of a whole huge bunch of widows ALL put together. It would be nice to think by giving money we are helping charities, but if you look into the statistics of any charities.. the reality is you are getting ripped off and paying for someone else to live a luxurious lifestyle.

Do you REALLY think that the Cancer Charities are helping? Since they started, cancer has skyrocketed, and we are no closer to a cure. It is a HUGE money making business.  Not really worth it to come up with a cure. Do you think your hard earned dollars actually go to help finding a cure? IF you are lucky, MAYBE a few pennies on a dollar. The rest goes for some ones salary, HUGE house and beautiful car and amazing vacations.. really excellent nice expensive living, and I know it is more than probably the amount of a whole huge bunch of widows ALL put together. It would be nice to think by giving money we are helping charities, but if you look into the statistics of any charities.. the reality is you are getting ripped off and paying for someone else to live a luxurious lifestyle.

As someone who HAS a rare cancer, I have to hope that those people who have dedicated their lives to cancer research keep trying to find ways to prevent, detect, treat and cure cancer.  I know my own oncologist does research and she sacrifices her own personal and family time on a regular basis.  She has returned a phone call to me from her home while supervising her daughter's homework!  I'm not convinced that the majority of researchers are trying to rip off donors.  The biggest part of the cost of research is time...the time of the people doing the research...and therefore their salaries.  Do these people...who have expensive educations, deserve good salaries?  I don't have a problem with that.  Is there overhead?  Of course.  Should donors know just how much of their dollar goes to overhead?  Sure.  Are their scammers out there?  Probably.  Cancer charities?  I don't know which ones are legitimate.  But...like most situations, not all are good, and certainly not all are bad.

Maureen

My wife died of a rare form of cancer, so this offends me personally.  It's amazing that some people feel entitled to enrich themselves this way.  After the Boston Marathon bombings, there were several people who scammed "The One Fund" for a slice of the millions that charity raised.

I hope both Mr. Reynolds and his son serve time in prison for hundreds of millions they scammed from well-meaning people.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

Guest Munsen

This is awful. I hope the courts throw the book at all involved. Sadly, this goes on more often than one wishes. I won't donate to anyone without checking them out on several other sites. One reputable organization that does some of the footwork for you is this one:

www.charitynavigator.org .

Guest nonesuch

This is awful, but honestly, I never heard of any of these groups before the news broke.

I think some organization may have tried to scam me.  I have no money to give, though.  The caller asked for late Husband, and the charity was called "Moments For Life."

Sometimes, all one can do is savor the irony.