Worth the effort?

Guest fleur

Guest oneoftwo

Fluer

"it was no more offensive than some of the comments made in the ?Want a good laugh? thread."

100% agree with this.

In addition I have to admit that seeing the Admins post some pretty rude things on a thread and yet then remove other threads is pretty odd. I thought I'd move over to this new site, but am not so sure now.

And that's all I have to say about that

But Trying is right.....Some posters I am done with. It is exhausting...it was exhausting on ywbb and exhausting here. So to keep myself nice-not even going to read them. Outcome is too predictable anyway.

And that's absolutely fine and probably something I should do as well.  It's when 'some posters' are singled out as the ones who will be ignored is when it gets a little dramatic around here (not saying you are doing this, SB).  I mean seriously, is this 7th grade?  What gets accomplished by publicly announcing you are going to ignore so-and-so's posts or not give them advice?

As to fleur's point(s), I agree completely.  Just keep things somewhat civil.  If someone asks for my advice and then questions the validity of it, I'm likely going to respond, and it won't be (hugs), either - well, it never is, lol.  And sometimes I'll admit that I'm wrong - I've done that as well.

Sometimes what we don't want to hear is exactly what we need to hear. I don't know about the mean post that was deleted as I never saw it, but the rest . . . even if it's gone to us, it's in the poster's head, and one day, it may help.

Guest look2thesky

I feel censoring will inhibit those to write what they really feel.

Simply said.

I have no idea what the original thread was about (I think) but the idea that threads can simply vanish after many have contributed to it (even if some of the contributions are of questionable or no value) is a good one.

Personally, I think that flaming posts should be removed. And OPs should be allowed to edit or withdraw their posts should they choose to do so. But after that, it's still a judgement call on the part of the admins to leave the thread or delete it based on whether or not it has value to the group as a whole.

The beauty of this site (like the YWBB before) was the history. The advice and stories that people were willing to share helped countless who never did more than simply read. Everyone who posts here is creating an archive for those here and those who will be here someday. Admins are curators of this information in a way.

I don't know what Fleur asked, but if the question was "is it worth it to come here and participate if someone can erase it?", I would come down on the side of "yes" but this incident does point out that Widda is a community and the community should have some say in how situations like this should be addressed going forward, imo.

"The beauty of this site (like the YWBB before) was the history. The advice and stories that people were willing to share helped countless who never did more than simply read. Everyone who posts here is creating an archive for those here and those who will be here someday. Admins are curators of this information in a way."

This is what I have been thinking about all week.  I joined YWBB when I had been a widow for a whopping 9 days. I read voraciously, hungrily absorbing the fact that though it really felt like it, I wasn't alone.  I did way more reading than posting for a pretty long time and if those archives hadn't been there, well I shudder to think what I may have done.  What I almost did.  So we are sort of the "pioneers" here and we are laying the foundation that widows will read years from now, and like Annie said, some may read and never register. We may never know they were there. SO I hate the thought that someone may come see drama and discord amongst a group that's very purpose is to pull together, so I can see why some would want things removed.  I also think seeing lots of "." where whole posts used to be would have made me shake my head and wonder back in those days too.  I'm sure it's a fine balance because there are things I agree with on both "sides"  of this issue.  I just wanted to thank Anniegirl for this perspective. What we are doing here is WORTH IT.  Not only for ourselves but for others that will come later, when we may not even be here much, our words will resonate with someone at some point.