Social Security Question...

SoVerySad

I am wondering if anyone knows of recent changes regarding survivor benefits. My youngest will turn 16 in January, so the benefit amount I've been receiving will end. I called Social Security yesterday to get an idea of how much the kids' benefit would become once my benefit stops. It was my understanding that their benefit would increase generally to the per person maximum, as we are currently receiving the family maximum. I was expecting their amounts in increase, but not to the full amount we receive now.

The person I spoke with told me that is not how it works. She said their benefit amounts will not increase, other than thru COLAs. Was my understanding incorrect in the first place or was there a recent change in the law?

Thanks for any info you can share.

I haven't gotten there yet. However, I only get benefits for a few months as I make over the amount allowed.  With all 3 kids receiving the amount per month in total stays about the same but the amount per person changes.  So I would think that the amount your kids get would increase, but that the total you receive might be less. That has been my understanding from the beginning and how it has worked for me.  My oldest is aging out in a couple of months so I will see what that does to the whole mix. 

Thank you both for responding. imissdow, are you saying that on the months you don't get the check, your kids' individual amounts are higher resulting in your family receiving about the same amount, just distributed differently?

That was my understanding. At the time it was set up, I believe I recall the SS agent telling me that since there were 3 of us, they would take the family maximum and split it evenly 3 ways. Then once my youngest turns 16, my benefit will stop and theirs will increase, but not necessarily to the total we're getting now, because there is an individual maximum in addition to the family maximum. So, I'm expecting an overall decrease, but not by the full amount I'm currently receiving.  However, I was in such a state of shock at the time I may not be remembering clearly.

Maybe I need to call SS back and ask another rep to see what they say.

Thanks again!

that's exactly what I'm saying. There are 4 of us receiving on some months so we usually get the family maximum it varies buy a dollar or two. My oldest ages out in a few months so I will see what happens. I'm really hoping not much changes and I don't need to overhaul my budget.

The way to get absolutely accurate information is to make an appointment at your local SS office. Go there and talk with them. They are the ones who actually do the processing necessary to get you the benefits so what they say is what it is. it will cost you some time, but then you'll know for sure. But make an appointment or you could wait a long time if it's busy the day you go.

Mike