My Grandma is Dying

Alexswife

It's 4:00 in the morning and my parents just left for the hospital. She fell almost two weeks ago and hit her head. She was just released from the hospital on Tuesday only to go back last night. They found that her brain in bleeding and there is nothing they can do for her.

I am torn. I have never had to be the 'strong' one. When Alex died I fell apart and my family just let me cry, scream, do whatever I needed to. Now I need to be there for my dad but I'm not sure that I know how to.

I am torn between going to work today to distract myself or going to tell her bye. I didn't get to tell Alex bye. I don't know what to do. I wish he were here to help me through everything.

I'm so sorry your Grandma is so sick, AW. I think the best way to be there for your dad is just to be yourself - kind, loving, caring, faithful. That's all he will need and you fully embody them all.

Sending you love and tight, tight hugs...

I couldn't say it any better than this. I am so sorry to hear this is happening.

Thank you all for your support. It means so much.

She woke up today. Said she was starving but they will not let her eat. They want my dad to sign a DNR. It seems like a dream.

I decided to work today instead of going to the hospital. They have run test after test on her. They were talking about sending her hOme with hospice and then she woke up so now I don't know what the plan is.

Thanks again for your support. Please continue to pray for my family, especially my dad. My grandma was widowed in her early thirties and never remarried. I know she misses her Bennie. If she passes, I am sure she will finally be whole again.

Thank you all for your continued support.

She had a good day on Friday. She was even able to eat some soft foods but yesterday she was unresponsive all day again. They sent her home with hospice care.

My faith is helping me handle all of this. I have heard her say on so many occasions "why won't He just go ahead and take me." I know in my heart that she is tired of fighting, she's ready to go home.

Thanks again for always being here for me. I will keep y'all posted on her condition.

Thank you.

I finally got up the nerve to go see her yesterday. It was much harder than I thought. She didn't really remember me.

When I got ready to leave I kissed her forehead and told her I loved her. She grabbed my hand, looked me in the eye and held on to me for the longest time. It felt like goodbye.

If she keeps holding on I will go see her again this week. My heart is aching for my dad. I know his heart is so broken. Thanks again for all of your support.

She has stopped eating and drinking today. She was barely doing both of those things before so I know she has to be dehydrated.

The hospice social worker came by today to talk about funeral plans. My dad refuses to make any plans while she's still fighting.

He is so sad. Please, please pray.

Alexswife,

I'm sorry you are having to watch this process with your dear grandmother.  I imagine that the hospice team has told you that your grandmother is not likely to suffer from being dehydrated.  I hope you encourage your dad to give her whatever medication is available to ease any pain and suffering.  Some people stay longer than others in this final stage of life.  I just hope for peace for her and as much peace as possible for you and your dad.

Hugs,

Maureen

I hope y'all don't get sick of me posting updates. I just have to let my thoughts out somehow and this feels like the only safe place.

We went to visit my grandma tonight. It was me, my parents, my brother and his family. We took our Church song books with us and sang around her bedside. It was really quite beautiful to watch the peace come over her as we sang about the Lord.  She tried her best to sing along.

I did ok while we were singing but there were moments when she would just freeze and I would think, "Is this it? Is she dead?"

I've never been there when someone died before and I really am terrified that I will be there when she passes. She is not doing good at all.

She would holler out for her brother who has been dead for years. She kept hollering for my dad. It's so sad. My heart is so broken but she is tired. If God takes her home, I won't be mad at Him. She is tired and she is ready. I don't want her to go but I don't want her to suffer either.

Please keep praying.

I had the privilege of holding both my Dad and my DH as they passed over.  It was a very sacred time and I felt that I helped ease their passage and reassured them both that it was ok to let go and put an end to their pain.  I felt very at peace in those moments and only after did my heart break and the pain hit me.  You obviously have a very strong faith and so does your grandma, so if you happen to be there then remember it is a final gift you can give to her.

I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers.