Widowed + empty nest syndrome

kat717

Hello All,

I am new here, my name is Kat. I lost my husband 14 months ago. In the last few months our oldest daughter has moved out (19), and our second oldest (18) splits her time between living here and at with her boyfriends family. Now it is just mainly my youngest son (15) and I at home. Too many feelings!! Wish he was here to go through this with me.

I get it ,my oldest moved out 4 months after dh died and that left just me and  my 15 year old  at home. It seems  extremly lonley and empty.

It definitley initiated me looking for distraction outside of the house. I joined meetups.

Kinda know how you feel. 16 mo's out here. When LH passed, we were down to 2 kids home. After, the older couple came back home for a year. Now, older 2 have moved out again, and it's suddenly a whole lot quieter with just me & the two younger.

Just a few years from now, it'll be down to only me. I'm dreading it. I was already looking at having an empty nest with mixed feelings while LH was still here, but now it's simply flat out dread. Not that it's easy being the sole head of the family with a houseful or even just the two left either! But it's been a looong time since I was on my own, and all the comings and goings of a bunch of people is my "normal."

Hi Kat. I'm at 18 months out.  My 19 year old keeps threatening to move out and I keep telling her that her threats would be more effective if she had a job. ;)  I think my 12 year old would very much like to be an only child right now. But I do remember how I felt when I sent my kids to my Mom's while I packed up and got the house on the market. It was six weeks of unnerving....quiet.  The last time I was alone like that was 20 years ago, and it wasn't nearly as pleasant this time around.

Count me in, too. My 18YO daughter is five hours away at college, barely keeping contact. That leaves my 15YO son and I together in the house. Better than being just me, I suppose, but it's challenging and not at all where we were "supposed" to be, dang it! I am 9 years out, and have had quite a lot of time to adjust to a familiy of three. Two feels very small.

I was feeling a little melancholy the other night because DD had gone to her friend's straight from work to get ready for homecoming.  It's such a big deal for me to take pictures of the events of her life.  However, I didn't want to pester her, the other family, and then follow them to where they were going to dinner. 

She is going to be 17 in a month and in a year and a half she will be graduating from college.  Sigh...