I lost him

Today my husband of 10 years died of cancer.  He leaves me with two adult step kids and a 7 year old daughter.  He was sick for three years and the last one was hell.  I am so glad that he doesn't hurt anymore. ..but I just miss him so much.  He was my best friend.  I don't know how to live without him. I love him so much.

Hugs, Fuchsia.

As much as we dread the day that they will die, we don't really know the experience of having them gone until that moment comes.  There aren't really any adequate words to describe the feelings we have.  Somehow, though, we eventually find that we still keep breathing, even though the weight on our chest feels like it will suffocate us.  In the first few days and maybe even weeks, we are sometimes like zombies, yet sometimes  hyper vigilant - getting things done, meeting deadlines, talking to all of the people who come to a memorial service.  I remember feeling like a puppet on strings.  My limbs moved in spite of the disconnect from my brain.

I'm glad you are here with us.  On the day my second husband died, I was actually physically with a group of widows and widowers from this site (and its predecessor).  My friends also came back, some driving 2-3 hours, to be with me the day after he died, too.  (My husband died unexpectedly at home while I was away visiting widow friends.)  If I could be with you in person today, I'd be there, but know that people here have already seen your story and are holding you and your family close in their thoughts.

More hugs...as much as I can give.

Maureen