ideas please!

smabify

I have an odd question. Has anyone done a fundraiser for anything? If so, what did you do and how did it work? Was it a lot to plan ahead of time?

Background: my daughter now has an ileostomy, after a long long long bout with constipation. I find it odd, but the supplies are not covered here (I live in Canada), and they are very expensive! I'm not working, and no insurance company will take her on as it is a preexisting condition which caused the bag. There is no way to afford this on my own.

Before it is suggested, I'm not willing to do a "go fund me" thing. I think it would be tacky and a bit melodramatic to set one up for myself.

Widowhood sucks. I hate being a charity case.

I would contact the manufacturer of the products that you need.  Let them know your situation.  Ask about alternative products as well.  There may be relatively few manufacturers that make pediatric products like you need.  Ask for them to donate supplies.  Ask if they know of charitable organizations that pay for these kinds of products.  There may be something like a Shriners' organization.  Don't take "no" for an answer when talking to whoever approves payment for your chicklets' medical care. 

I know a man who once went to the offices of his insurance company and asked to talk to a supervisor.  He needed approval on a complicated wheelchair that cost about $30,000.  He was told the person he needed wasn't there that day.  He told them he wasn't going anywhere until someone resolved his issue.  He sat in a foyer area of the building all day long, and every hour, he went up to the receptionist (who got more and more uncomfortable with him sitting there) and he asked her to call for someone to speak to.  At the end of the day, he was still sitting there, but apparently, the whole building (oh, probably 100 employees) knew that there was a persistent man waiting to have his issues addressed.  Finally, as the day closed, someone came out and told him his wheelchair had been approved.  He made them put it in writing before he would leave.

I'm not saying you can do this, but you might need to impress upon someone that your daughter NEEDS these supplies and if it was their child, how would THEY handle it?

Sometimes, common sense prevails.

Best wishes on having success.

Maureen

• 1 month later...

What about selling t-shirts? That could be a start. Then maybe with the proceeds from the t-shirts you could start to plan a benefit/fundraiser. Another popular option around here is Port-A-Pit sales (bbq chicken stands.) I'm not sure if you have those in Canada.

When my husband was diagnosed our 'blue' family started with t-shirt sales. Then they planned a benefit for him. They booked a venue, entertainment, and set up a steak & potato meal. People donated baskets and items to be raffled off at the benefit. We sold almost 1000 tickets to the benefit. The support was overwhelming.

How old is your daughter?  I have a friend whose daughter made friendship bracelets, and sold them for $1.

Is she in school?  How about involving some teachers?  Maybe an art fair at school with work created by students and marketed to parents.

Have a few teachers have bucket in their classrooms to collect change for a month. At the end of the month teacher with most change has to dye their hair blue (This just makes it a fun competition and encourages more change for the bucket)  I've seen this generate a couple thousand dollars.)  They did this for my son when he was in 4th grade for his Dad's chemo treatments when the drug he needed was still "experimental" and not covered.

A read a thon fundraiser?  http://www.fund-raising-ideas-center.com/kid-fundraising-read-a-thon.html

A neighborhood/church yard sale, you get the proceeds. Have a lemonade stand with some homemade goodies like, brownies, cupcakes, cookies, etc.  Then do a 50/50 raffle!  Everyone loves the chance to win cash.  Have a friend that is artistic?  Set up a face painting booth and charge $2 or $3...

Just some thoughts.

I thought Canada was socialized medicine with everything paid for and no pre-existing conditions clause. That's what was sold to us in America when they were pushing for Obamacare.  I just love all of the misinformation out there. Grrrr.

I understand why a GoFund me page may seem tacky to you, but perhaps one just for family and friends and community members?  I like the idea of the person who said contact the place that supplies them directly. They may be able to give you some samples or a discount. Also, some people may have extras. Just putting on Facebook what you need may get you a few things. I know that my insurance does 90 day supplies, and for awhile there I got way too much asthma medicine for my son as he didn't use it fast enough, for example.

As for fundraisers, community yard sales are popular in this weather, as are community fairs like little carnivals for the kids where they get facepainting and play yard games for tiny prizes, etc. You'd probably need some sort of permit for that, though. Maybe you could volunteer at the local hospital as trade for supplies?

Best wishes. I hope you find a job with insurance that covers it quickly.

Haha socialized medicine. Lol haha when I stop laughing I'll respond. I am a CANADIAN all my 54 yrs. socialized to an extent. In Ontario we now have to pay a 'premium' um...TAX, and the system is still broken and only getting worse. Stop drinking the kool aide. So much can happen to improve it all but the system 'beauracracy' is so huge it will take for ever if ever. Shameful waste if you ask me.

Guest TooSoon

Do you think we could keep this about smabify and trying to help her find some solutions to a very immediate and serious problem? 

Guest nonesuch

I like Maureen's idea, because a fund-raiser is a one time deal.  If the expense is that great, one would have to keep doing it, and folks will get compassion fatigue when you have to keep repeating it.   

I'm so sorry you are facing this challenge on top of everything else, smabify. Unfortunately there are coverage cracks in many healthcare systems. It is often hard to find a way out of them when you're already so busy with the day to day managing of chronic illnesses.

I know nothing about your healthcare coverage there, but I did try to search out some info for you. I found this which may be helpful. I'm guessing that amount is still insufficient, but if you are entitled to it, you should get the help. It looks like this assistance is only for permanent ileostomies, not temporary ones, just FYI. I'm not sure of your daughter's situation.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/adp/publications/ostomy.aspx

I've found that sometimes it comes down to the way supplies are billed which can make a difference as well.

Maureen's suggestion about contacting the manufacturers to see if they can help is great. I would also suggest explaining the situation to your daughter's doctor. He/she may be able to offer suggestions or know a supplies rep to connect you directly. When my private insurance here refused to cover one of my son's meds despite an appeal from his MD, his MD talked with the drug rep and got samples that mostly got us through a year until we could appeal again. It really helped as the med was an expensive one. In addition, after my grandmother died I asked her MD about her remaining peritoneal dialysis supplies. We had boxes and boxes of bags of fluids as she was hospitalized for the last few weeks of her life and had just received another month's supply. The supply company told us to discard everything. When I mentioned it to her MD, he asked if we would donate them to another patient. We were happy to do so. Maybe your MD can keep you in mind for donations if he becomes aware of availability.

In addition, I recommend trying to connect to the Ostomy Society if you haven't already. See what help they can offer you. I found this link which I hope will help. It looks like they have a facebook parents support group. I would try to join and ask how other parents are handling this situation.

http://www.ostomycanada.ca/support/parents-group/

If I can think of anything else, I'll add to this.

Tight hugs...