The "like" feature

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

I know this has been discussed before but do you think lots of people don't post because they can just like things, whereas on ywbb if you wanted to participate you had to post?  I do a lot with social media in my courses and psychologically, I think the like feature gives people an excuse not to express themselves, which is precisely what this forum is for.  I'm just thinking out loud as I wait for the laundry to dry and ponder why there is so little activity, especially from the newly joined.  Emphatically NOT criticism, just something I thought we might revisit as this new forum grows and takes shape thanks to its committed admins.  :)

Yes, I think the like feature likely lowers the amount of actual posts and therefore results in less discussion. Not being very active on Facebook, using the like feature is somewhat foreign to me. For other members, it probably comes more naturally to use it. I am also not criticizing, just sharing the perspective of a less social media savvy member.

TooSoon,

I agree with you. I don't like the Like feature here, and never have since it was first introduced. This is in part for the reason you mention. I think it decreases active participation and involvement in the site, which partially accounts for why the amount of posting that goes on here is far below what it was on the old YWBB despite our good sized membership. Another reason is that it allows members to respond quickly and superficially, rather than encouraging them to seriously consider the issues and offer thoughtful and meaningful input, which would be much more beneficial to both other members and themselves. I also think displaying the number of Likes sets up a needless competition among members and encourages them to post what they think will be popular rather than what they truly feel. Widowhood should not include the additional burden of competing in a popularity contest.

All this may explain why I have deliberately not given even one Like here despite my being a member of this site since its first day of operation. Although I do freely give many Likes on a daily basis on Facebook, I see that site as a mostly fun, lighthearted and superficial medium. But on Young Widow Forum, we are dealing with what is likely the greatest tragedy of our life and the most life-altering event. I think we owe it to each other and ourselves to engage here much more genuinely than we do on Facebook.

--- WifeLess

I typically use the Like feature as a "that was thoughtful and touched me" way of commenting--  basically just a "well said".  But yeah, it can get all Facebooky, too.  In this forum, perhaps it creates a rank ordering of comments that could inhibit conversation.  The last thing we want anyone in the throes of grief to think is that the way they share their feelings here is somehow being evaluated.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful responses - except Maureen, LOL  (I'm a smartass, too  ;D )

I think we should always think of our forum in a dynamic state - ever-evolving to best serve to our community. I do remember many members asking for the "like" feature, and cheering its implementation. Does its presence decrease response posts by members? This is quite possible. However, how many members participate on our forum via the "like" button that otherwise would not have posted a reply anyway? Of course it impossible to tell, but please consider that net participation may actually even out when all things are considered. Like Quixote, I too felt it was a "well said". I will often like a post when I agree, but have nothing to add to the discussion.

I do agree with WifeLess that the "like" count should likely go away. Given the gravity of situation, I don't know if anyone here cares about the number of "likes" in a competitive sense, but do concede that the counting of them does not have a constructive role here.  I will check with our tech admin and see if that feature can be turned off, and then will discuss with our administrator/moderator group before taking any action.

Thanks again everyone,

Justin

Getting rid of the "like" count is a good idea, imo.

However, I like the "like" button. It's a way to agree with comments when you don't have words yourself and to show the OP that you did read even if you hadn't anything to offer in the form of a post.

Liking is also a safe way for ppl, who might otherwise just lurk, to engage as well.

I will admit I so hit the like button because sometimes I don't have any more to add to that particular statement

at the begining I didn't have my own words to say

so I just wanted that person to know what they had said had helped and touched me

Guest TooSoon

Lol.  I'm a liker of the like feature both here and on the Facebook.  Was just sort of thinking out loud as usual....I might even like my own post for emphasis.  ;)

I'd vote to get rid of Like button.  Impersonal, shades of facebook, and stops any thought of a comment.  Although sometimes it does serve the purpose of showing a presence, I think just a short comment is preferable.  A pet peeve of mine is receiving Happy Birthday wishes on facebook and not a comment, short message, card in mail, phone call, etc.  If they passed me on the street probably wouldn't say Happy Birthday and most likely wouldn't recognize me. 

Personally I think the 'like' button is so impersonal and we as wids have just way to much of the imporsonal, why not just post 'nothing to add but I like your post'

In spite of the fact that I have used the "like" button on occasion...well I guess I did have something to add...I still liked your post!

This:

I think it decreases active participation and involvement in the site, which partially accounts for why the amount of posting that goes on here is far below what it was on the old YWBB despite our good sized membership. Another reason is that it allows members to respond quickly and superficially, rather than encouraging them to seriously consider the issues and offer thoughtful and meaningful input, which would be much more beneficial to both other members and themselves. I also think displaying the number of Likes sets up a needless competition among members and encourages them to post what they think will be popular rather than what they truly feel. Widowhood should not include the additional burden of competing in a popularity contest.

I do find myself looking for a "New Posts" button that is non existent.

The "New" icon appears beside every thread containing at least one post not yet read by you. That icon is also a link. Click on it and it will take you to the first unread post in the thread.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

Guest TalksToAngels

Know my input won't count for much, and each forum seems to have its uniqueness. I saw once names given like "preppy", or something similar to new posters. The like feature and count, to me is reminiscent to Facebook. Maybe the wanting to be among the popular consensus. The more one posts eventually will become total liked, and it's assumed they are seasoned veterans. it may also limit creative posting, not saying I would be either for or against, it does sometimes remind me of the Facebook frenzy.

I don't post often, but I read all the time. The "like" is great for, as others said, letting others know you hear them and validate their thoughts, but perhaps have nothing to add because they have said it all so well. But the count bar is just goofy and unnecessary. Sort of  makes it seem like a popularity contest and yes, "facebooky".

Hello, I personally like the "Like" feature. Some people like to march in the parade and someone like me prefer to stand on the sidewalk and give applause. Hopefully we're not making this a competition by tracking the counter (I don't have Facebook so I can't relate)..if so, we've got some growing up to do.

With love for all of us wids. Hang in there.

V/r

Boris

Thank you all for participating in helping to make Widda a better place for us all. Your thoughtful responses are appreciated.

The "like stats" count counter has been removed by Wadmin, our technical genius and man-behind-the-curtain.