What to be when I grow up......

PhotoJunkie

I've been MIA since my big move to be closer to my daughter in May. Many many things have happened in that time but the big thing on my mind is career. My husband and I worked hard to put me through nursing school and I have struggled since he died to keep myself in my profession except now I feel it's a losing battle.  1). It's impossible to find child care for 12 (in reality 14) hour shifts that don't take half your paycheck.  2). As much as I enjoy being a nurse, it's very draining on an already drained soul. If I'm not completely terrified of the eventual code blue with the worst possible outcome, I'm too busy looking at my patients wondering if this is all I have to look forward too.....ending up sick and alone in a hospital.  Either way I have serious doubts as if I should even be a nurse anymore.

I'm taking the next year or so off for many reasons but one question I need to answer is what should I be doing for the rest of my career days. How does one go about finding out what is a good fit etc?  School is a possibility. I have an associates and am considering going for a bachelors as it opens quite a few more options that won't make me think I'm wasting my license.

Anyone been in this spot? 

Lynn

Go for your bachelor's. It certainly can't hurt and it will buy some time to figure out your eventual career goals. I'm definitely in the same boat. I'm debating if I want to return to school in January (probable) or next fall. I dropped out my senior year after his initial Lymphoma diagnosis and decided to enjoy life with him. I only have 8-10 more classes to complete my degree in Life Sciences, but I am no longer certain this is the road I want to take. I've been out of school for five years, so I may take a few low level courses to get reaquainted with academia before I make a decision to change my major (yet again...lol) or not.

I think at this point I have literally become a professional student. ;)

I'm a professional student.  I think I will move on in another year, though. 

Lynn, find a career exploration office at a college or university.  See what resources they have to help you.

I'm glad you have the space to figure some of this out.  In the mean time, maybe you can take a part-time home care kind of position?  There is a part of me that wonders if I made a mistake by completely leaving my profession 5 years ago.  The option of going back has kind of slipped away from me.

Maureen

I'm in healthcare too and began questioning my motivation to continue on the path I was on.  Most people in my life don't understand why a physical therapist would want to become a massage therapist.  It's seen as "less than" professionally. I don't care what it looks like, it's something that is calling me, something that I can make fit my lifestyle with more satisfaction and less emotional toll and frustration.  When I give a massage (and I'm still in school learning) I feel so totally present, in the moment with the person on the table, and knowing I'm making someone feel good, even if I can't fix them, cuts the frustration I usually feel at work.

So how about finding something that fills your soul instead of draining it? That could be looking at your profession in a different way or something totally new.  I think it's awesome you can take the time off and figure it out.  Selling our house and moving has afforded me the opportunity (and time) to make the changes I want.

it's something that is calling me, something that I can make fit my lifestyle with more satisfaction and less emotional toll and frustration.  When I give a massage (and I'm still in school learning) I feel so totally present, in the moment with the person on the table, and knowing I'm making someone feel good, even if I can't fix them, cuts the frustration I usually feel at work.

I think you've just answered your own question!

I'm in this spot right now.

I am on my last year of my mental health and addiction counselling program. I have been very fortunate to find a casual position in the field, even though I don't have that diploma in my hand, in a shelter for abused women.

Recently though I'm wondering whether this is the right path for me. I have had some impromptu counselling sessions with some clients and I feel totally out of my element. I'm afraid instead of helping them I'm going to make it worse, say the wrong thing.

I echo Virgo,if you still enjoy being a nurse, but find the hospital setting draining, possibly a position elsewhere would be a better fit, like a clinic or along those lines.

Years ago, my parents wanted me to go to medical school or get my nursing degree.  I chose not to.  My brothers and mom are nurses.  I have a friend that teaches at the U in a program called Health Information Management.  They told me it was the business side of medicine.  It all clicked when I stopped in a clinic.  The people behind the desk, the administrators, the CFO.  Had that major existed all those years ago, I might have considered it.

Also, I think someone mentioned the academic side.  That might be an option for you. 

Sending good thoughts your way. 

So how about finding something that fills your soul instead of draining it? That could be looking at your profession in a different way or something totally new.  I think it's awesome you can take the time off and figure it out.  Selling our house and moving has afforded me the opportunity (and time) to make the changes I want.

I too believe in looking within and finding what is calling out to your soul. When you find Your answer, either take a leap of faith or small steps, such as going back to school, to push forward. Don't let your license hold you back if you find that your passion takes you down a different path. I was a CPA and have fallen back on accounting work while I build my strength and energy back up. My true passion and pursuits are in production, having produced short films, videos and a podcast on heart health.

oddly enough during my last shift, we were having a discussion about other careers.  It seems many nurses are rethinking their choices due to many factors.  It was a highly entertaining discussion I must say but I kept coming back to the "find what speaks to your soul" comments.  That is the hard one as I truly believe in this moment I have no soul to speak to.  Im not there yet and maybe taking this time to just be my daughters mom will help me find it.  Also professional Hermit isn't a real thing, which totally sucks for me :P 

BUT.....one thing did come up and it has given me some serious thought processes.....someone mentioned crime scene photography, which I have learned is now forensic photography :P  I jokingly said that I would love that job as I could play with my camera and get paid to hang out with cops all the time.  But then when I couldn't sleep I started thinking about it seriously and it gave a little spark and not because of the boyz.  It means school but what option at this point doesn't?  The funny part is I asked the girl to give me a honest answer about the idea and she not only thought it was perfect, she apparently has been asking her guidance counselor for information for me.  Man I love that kid!  (PS she would definitely tell me no if she thought I was crazy....you should hear the opinions she has given about other options.)

Im still searching for the answer but I have time.  My main goal is to be her parent.  Be there for all her school functions and non school functions.  Take her to the big College fair this spring that she won't stop talking about.  Find a way to take her to a football game, and do small trips to see the country on my limited budget now.  It may sound easy but for me it isn't.  I don't do this very well. 

.....someone mentioned crime scene photography, which I have learned is now forensic photography :P  I jokingly said that I would love that job as I could play with my camera and get paid to hang out with cops all the time.

It sounds like an interesting job to me, too, and I have no actual photographic skills.

I started this thread last month after reading this newspaper story about a man who died in his New York City apartment and remained there for nearly a week before anyone noticed. It's a fascinating story, but I surmised that most members on this site found it too depressing to read. Do you feel the same way?

The reporter interviewed two city employees whose job it was to clean this man's apartment out. Both of them discussed the emotional impact of this work:

Rummaging through the personal effects of the dead, sensing the misery in these rooms, can color your thoughts. The work changes people, and it has changed these men.

Mr. Rodriguez, 57 and divorced, has a greater sense of urgency. ?I try to build a life like it?s the last day,? he said. ?You never know when you will die. Before this, I went along like I would live forever.?

The solitude of so many deaths wears on Mr. Plaza, the fear that someday it will be him splayed on the floor in one of these silent apartments. ?This job teaches you a lot,? he said.

I am glad that there are people out there who are willing to do jobs like this.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

I worked for the PD a long long time ago typing up police reports.  It was a fascinating job.  My husband was an officer as well and I did quite a few ride alongs with him and his squad.  Several friends of mine went on to do the forensic photography position and I went to nursing school as expected. 

I read that story on a news site somewhere.  We had discussions about it at work as well, which ironically led to the topic of jobs in that arena.  my biggest concern about this particular job is that there would be court testimony required.  I am not a fan of public speaking.  In fact its a huge huge phobia for me.  Id rather cuddle with a spider and I hate spiders.  The rest of what the job entails?  Not an issue.  been around it too long either through my husbands work or through my own.  For me the pressure of having to be responsible for keeping them alive wouldn't necessarily be an issue anymore.  It would be more about preserving the scene and documenting it.  That I can do.  If there is one thing I am good at, documentation is it. 

Sounds like a great fit for you, look into the training and also the job opportunities.  Have fun exploring your options while you take the time off to be more available to your daughter.  I have always admired how you make some difficult choices in the best interest of your daughter.  Finding a career that gives you the balance and satisfaction you want will be another great example for her. 

• 1 month later...

Working on you bachelor's degree could provide you the time to find that new career. Or you could take a nursing position in a doctor's office dealing minor illnesses while you consider other possibilities.

It took me 7yrs to fall into a career I really love. It was something I thought was a passing fancy. One day I took it seriously enough to look into it and found it to be workable. Working with power tools to restore new life into antique furniture has been rewarding in ways I only understand.

All the interests you've ever had might be the key. The big question is which one will unlock it; you'll just have to explore them. Once found, the other decision is whether or not to pursue it if it does not bring in the sort of income you're accustomed to.

Good luck!