David Bowie died yesterday...

MrsT85

He had been battling cancer for 18 months.  I didn't even know he was sick.  I was just listening to "Blackstar" for the first time while making dinner Friday and was so pleased by how good it was.  How exciting it was to think of what his next album would sound like. 

He had just turned 69...not "young" I know, especially not for this crowd....but it still hurts like a motherfucker.  God, Tim and I both loved him so much.  The number of times we'd sing "Changes" or "Ziggy Stardust" or "Man Who Sold the World" together at karaoke. How jealous he would make me when he told the stories of the Bowie concerts he attended.  How much he enjoyed "The Next Day," the album that came out just a few weeks before his car accident in 2013.

God damn it. 

Tim would have been 39 tomorrow.  Baby, in the almost three years you've been gone, you've had two of your musical heroes join you now.  If there is any justice in the universe you, Bowie and Lou Reed will be together to celebrate.  It's the only silly thought that's keeping my head together in one piece right now.

Cancer sucks.

I found it interesting, but oh so understandable, that the family has not released the type of cancer he had. Cancer strikes such fear in people. The big bad boogie man. And it is bad. It sucks. So much pain and destruction.

But that fear people have makes decorum and compassion go out the window for many. To ask so many inappropriate questions to a person grieving. They want answers as to why it happened and how to protect themselves. Blame the victim. Did she smoke? Did he drink? Didn't they eat enough fruits and vegetables? Didn't they use sunscreen? Didn't she have mammograms? In trying to prevent cancers, we have stigmatized its victims.

I don't fault the family at all. Now the media reports focus on him, his accomplishments. Not dissecting risk factors and his personal behaviors.

I wish we had kept my husband's diagnosis private. Would have saved me additional pain.

Cancer sucks.

I found it interesting, but oh so understandable, that the family has not released the type of cancer he had. Cancer strikes such fear in people. The big bad boogie man. And it is bad. It sucks. So much pain and destruction.

I don't fault the family at all. Now the media reports focus on him, his accomplishments. Not dissecting risk factors and his personal behaviors.

I wish we had kept my husband's diagnosis private. Would have saved me additional pain.

I totally respect the family's wishes to keep the type of cancer private.  Hell - I respect that they didn't even announce he was sick.  It kept the focus on his work (where it should be - he had just released another fantastic album on Friday - his 69th birthday) until the very very end.  The only reason I mentioned that I didn't even know he was sick was because of what a shock it then was to hear of his death. 

I was listening to the new album again today on my way to work and the tears just started streaming down my cheeks when I listened - really listened, knowing that he's gone and that he must have known the end was near - to the first single "Lazarus"

He seemed to know.  He seemed to accept it.  And he turned it into one hell of a song and video - comforting to know he was owning his art and his story in death as well as life.  I wouldn't expect anything less.

[Verse 1]

Look up here, I'm in heaven

I've got scars that can't be seen

I've got drama, can't be stolen

Everybody knows me now

[Verse 2]

Look up here, man, I'm in danger

I've got nothing left to lose

I'm so high, it makes my brain whirl

Dropped my cell phone down below

Ain't that just like me?

[bridge]

By the time I got to New York

I was living like a king

Then I used up all my money

I was looking for your ass

[Verse 3]

This way or no way

You know I'll be free

Just like that bluebird

Now, ain't that just like me?

[Outro]

Oh, I'll be free

Just like that bluebird

Oh, I'll be free

Ain't that just like me?

I was surprised to find myself inconsolably weeping when I woke up to the news this morning. I mean, of course I was real sad about Lemmy too, Bear. But David fuckin' Bowie...and cancer...and widowed wife...my heart just breaks for her... How was I foolish enough to imagine him immortal?

I pretty much refuse to talk about my husband's cancer beyond answering that that is how he died. one word. no details. If people don't take the hint and I reach my breaking point, I have no problem saying flatly; 'I don't want to talk about that. It's an incredibly painful subject for me.' That usually does the trick. I feel bad for Iman- she will surely not be able to escape the questions as easily.

Tim would have been 39 tomorrow.  Baby, in the almost three years you've been gone, you've had two of your musical heroes join you now.  If there is any justice in the universe you, Bowie and Lou Reed will be together to celebrate.  It's the only silly thought that's keeping my head together in one piece right now.

Was thinking the same. And Bowie died 3 days after his own birthday just like my husband. They are in good company indeed, MrsTim. Hugs to you on Tim's birthday. xoxoxo

Guest TooSoon

It's weird isn't it; he somehow seemed to exist outside of time to me - timeless, like he would always be here - but we know all too well that's not how this works.  He was the guy who told tweenage me that its great to just be you no matter what form that takes.  I might have emulated some hairstyles back in the day.  I might have to subject my child to a David Bowie life lesson starting now. 

Thanks so much for posting that serpico.  Tim and I used to sing that at karaoke all the time and I'd always joke that you could tell how much I loved him because I would let him sing the David Bowie parts. 

It's a breathtaking recording and one that shows just how much raw talent those two had.  Just amazing talents. 

It's weird isn't it; he somehow seemed to exist outside of time to me - timeless, like he would always be here - but we know all too well that's not how this works. 

And TS - I couldn't agree more.  I knew he was an old man, but he always seemed so eternal...like a sprite or fairy some other mythical creature.  Or an alien - something not of this world.  It was a testament to how well he wore the personas he invented and cultivated that he could trick us all into thinking that he wasn't a mere moral like the rest of us...not consciously, but in the back of your mind.  It doesn't seem right that someone as colorful and unique and full of life like him could be taken down by same things that claim the rest of us...

Sorry I'm all over this thread...this has me really messed up today, Bowie so so dear to both Tim and I and was a big part of the life we shared....

Guest TooSoon

Im pretty certain you're not the only one who is a bit preoccupied with this today, even the uninitiated. As a tribute, I am going to let M dye her hair again tonight any color(s) she wants.  oxoxox

Im pretty certain you're not the only one who is a bit preoccupied with this today, even the uninitiated.

I've been listening to his music all day, love the tribute version of Under Pressure that serpico posted. 

I've been watching the next two clips today.  In the first, Dancing in the Streets, I in particular love the look Bowie shoots Jagger at 2:17 to 2:19 and the second one is a really old clip of a song I love, When I Live My Dream. I also love Heroes and too many others to mention.  The posts from Iman are amazing, thanks for sharing MrsTim85.