freaking out - what did I just do

Beyondlife

Just made an offer on a place in Florida while I was on vacation!  Problem - even though I decided to retire early (62) I wasn't going to do it until August due to having to pay my own medical insurance. 

My sister and I had a plan that after I retired, we would sell both our condos and move.  We've been looking on Zillow and decided that this trip would be to check out towns on the gulf coast to see what places we can afford and see what the areas looked like.  What we discovered was houses/condos in our price range were not in nice areas.  We then went to the middle of the state to visit friends.

We fell in love with a place and made an offer.  It was accepted.

Why I'm freaking:

I am very cautious with my money and my life.  I plan and stick with it.  I didn't do this.

I am not retired

Between us, we will own 3 places - we are not in the financial bracket to do this

All of our family is here is Michigan

My cat beats up her dog

Neither of us want to take our furniture and most of our home decor with us therefore we need 2 massive sales

It is not the part of Florida I thought I wanted to be in

I think I'm happy but I'm terrified of making such a huge change.

Holy shit, Batman, what was I thinking?

I am also a planner and conservative with my finances so I get your freak out.  But... last spring I made a hasty decision to buy a house (downsizing) and to quickly get the house we lived in for 15 years ready to sell.  No one who knows me could believe I did such a thing.  It was the best decision ever!!  Sometimes you have to go with your gut and take a leap.  Congratulations!!!  Now, deep breaths.

Congratulations! I have always been a planner and thinker, too- and cautious with money, but I dove in and bought a place 350 miles from everything and everyone- and it is still working! Wonderful news for both you and your sister- the animals will eventually come to some agreement- my boyfriends dog is still controlled by my Siamese, however.

best of luck in your new state and home!

I'm excited for you also.  I've really enjoyed reading this thread.  We all have something in common.  We plan, are conservative financially, and think things through.  This wasn't on impulse.  You had a plan and had thought a lot about it.  This vacation was a scouting one to check out your plan.  So it happened 6 months sooner than you anticipated but you knew it your gut it was the place for you. 

1 year ago I started preparing to sell my house.  My plan was to put it on the market in July.  I had only minor repairs needed (paint throughout) but the decluttering, cleaning, boxing, selling, storing part was started in March.  Ready to paint in June.  No Realtor but had done the research on what I expected to get for the house.  Neighbors had visitors and asked if they could look at the house.  This was a day that the windows sparkled, not a dust bunny to be found, and not a water stain in the sink.  The garage was stacked with boxes.  Offered me considerably more than I had planned to ask.  Without a commission to pay and able to be debt free it went through without a glitch.  I chose to rent until I could plan my next step and that is where I am.  After signing the papers, I almost freaked out.  It happened faster than my mind could process. 

Enjoy this next step.  You know where you are going and it will all work out.  Happy for you. 

It's ok. You get to life life the way YOU want to now. I think it will be fine. I am pretty much a planner, too, but every once in awhile I just do something major without a whole lot of planning. I have never regretted it. My impulses are usually pretty good. I think yours will be, too!

I too am in transition and get your anxiety BL! I'm prepping to sell the house we built together on the lake.  Ugh.  I'm hoping my story goes like yours mmg19!

I love this

A ship in the harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are for.

Set sail, my friend.

It's time.

• 3 weeks later...

[move]OMG, OMG, OMG[/move]I went to an open house today in my condo complex to check it out for when I put mine up for sale.  A couple told the realtor that they liked it but weren't interested in buying anything until May.  I followed them out and told them mine was going on the market in May.  I showed them my house and they want to make an offer with a closing in June when I retire!

What the heck just happened?????

On a side note, I had spent the last 3 days tearing apart closests, cupboards, etc., deciding what I am going to sell or take.  My place was the messiest it has ever been.

Holy crap Batman,  things like this never happen to me.  Maybe this really was meant to be!

• 2 months later...

Count down is here.  Still having big anxety about a few things.

Yesterday was my official retirement day.  Sort of hard and anticlimatic coming home to an empty house and nobody to share with.

I have an estate sale company here pricing everything and they are having the sale Thurs-Sat.  Problem is I have to leave for Florida on Friday because it is the only time my friend can drive with me and it is too hot for my cat to fly in cargo.  So road trip from Michigan to Florida with a grumpy cat!

That means I had to ask my nephew and his wife to pack up whatever is left after the sale.  Even if they sell 80% of it - there will be tons left.  I detest dumping stuff like this on other people.  They might have to rent a uhaul to take it back to their house.

I haven't had closing on my condo yet.  There is a problem with the papers the builder filed with the township.  I will have to close in Florida.  Panicing that the sale won't go through.

I am leaving everything in chaos.  I hate chaos.

I am not the leaver.  I stay and other people leave.  This is all so out of my comfort zone.

On the other hand, I am starting an entire new life:  living with my sister, living in a new state, retired.

When the chaos is over, I think I will be excited!