Wedding anniversary

Trying

Today would've been 23 years, we only made it to 20. I'm doing much better than the first 2 anniversaries without him. Last year I had just signed a contract to buy a new house and was totally stressed and emotional. The first year was, well it was the first year. Our 20th anniversary was his first day of chemo so that first anniversary without him was so reliving the anniversary of when our lives changed forever with his diagnosis. Luckily we had celebrated our anniversary early with a trip to the same island resort where we had our honeymoon, a very rare trip just the 2 of us that I will always be grateful for.

Today I am studying, going for a kayak and then out to dinner with 2 of my 3 boys (other one is working). I let myself have some time to sit with my memories this morning and I'm feeling sentimental and a little melancholy.

Am remembering a widow on the old board describing her grief over the years as not going away, but getting 'softer' with time. I am grateful to find myself understanding that more and more.

Will keep you and your family in my thoughts today as I garden...

It is hard to believe, sometimes, that our past has not become our future.  We look back on these days with both smiles and sadness.  In a few weeks, I will cross what would have been 24 years with Barry.  He has not been here for - count it - 7 of them.  How is this possible?  We also spent our last 2 anniversaries together with him in ICU...so the memories aren't so happy.

Hugs.  Remember Tim and all the wonderful years you had together.

Hugs,

Maureen

Guest TooSoon

Am remembering a widow on the old board describing her grief over the years as not going away, but getting 'softer' with time.

Adp has always uses the word 'soften' to describe the easing of grief.  It will be ten years for him in July, and it would have been my 10th anniversary in July.  As the grief softens, I find myself looking more and more forward to the next 10, though I have no pretense to claim that I have any clue what they will bring or what life will look like in another 10 as the last 10 surely dished out some unanticipated surprises....

Enjoy your kayaking and dinner.  Thinking of you.  Happy Anniversary!