Things you never thought to ask

Bunny

This afternoon I wasted some time on the internet looking at '43 photos that prove you know nothing about life'. I get to the one where it states that it's almost a 50/50 split whether people sit or stand to wipe after using the bathroom and that neither half knows the other exists. Mind Blown. So, as I investigate this further with Google (in an attempt to avoid the housework a little while longer), one man says he and a friend came up with a height theory- everyone over 5'11" is a stander.

My husband was 6'2". I have NO IDEA if he was a stander or a sitter. It's such a silly little thing, but I'm feeling...not sad, more like wistful that we'll never have that conversation. I bet it would have been a really fun one.

Anyone else have any nonsensical questions they wished they'd asked their spouse?

This isn't so much that I didn't think to ask but more that we avoided talking about.

My husband had a congenital heart condition that required surgery. For part of it, he was clinically dead because they couldn't complete the surgery while he was on bypass. I never asked him if he had any sensation or remembrance or anything from that. I really wish I knew if he felt more or less convinced of some sort of other existence after death.

This isn't so much that I didn't think to ask but more that we avoided talking about.

My husband had a congenital heart condition that required surgery. For part of it, he was clinically dead because they couldn't complete the surgery while he was on bypass. I never asked him if he had any sensation or remembrance or anything from that. I really wish I knew if he felt more or less convinced of some sort of other existence after death.

Hikermom,

My first husband Barry went into a deep coma due to really high CO2 levels just a few days before he died.  He wasn't expected to wake up, but he did.  When his head cleared and everyone left his ICU room that night, we had a talk about his experience.  He had absolutely no awareness of anything during that time.  It was as if he had just gone to sleep and then woke up.  The best thing that came from that experience was that he was no longer afraid of death...or a bad death, as he would likely lapse into a coma again and die in an unconscious state.  I've always been grateful that I had the opportunity to have that conversation with him and that he died peacefully. 

Hugs,

Maureen

hikermom- A friend of mine was severely electrocuted on the job- was hanging on by a thread for weeks- died more than once- ended up losing an arm, shoulder, leg, and hip. He told me he never saw or felt anything and seemed pretty happy/relieved about it.

Another friend of mine had a massive seizure while out in the woods walking his chihuahua and when he fell his head hit a rock. He and his loyal little pup were found 36 hours later by a woman out doing some yoga in nature. He had a very profound and life-changing experience. He was no longer an atheist and no longer feared death, which was good because he was diagnosed with a terminal cancer soon after. He was sad and frustrated because, for the most part, none of his family or friends wanted to talk about his near death experience or the fact that the cancer would eventually kill him. So we would talk, and he began a friendship with a minister who later did his funeral services.

for me, I like that they both (and Maureen's Barry too!) had positive experiences, even though they were different.

And SVS- yeah, that totally would also have been a fun conversation! I do love that you and your husband met at such an early age- thus getting to experience much of each other's awkward youths up close and personal. :)

I have so many questions that I wish I had asked Jenny.

So many things I wonder about.

Its too late now to ask her.

Wish I knew what she wants done with her stuff?

Biggest question, and I often wanted to ask, but honestly I was scared of what the answer might be...But why she chose me....i always felt she was out of my league.

I know the answer to that question. I had a knack for walking in the bathroom at the most inopportune times. Phil was 6'3, and he sort of stood/hovered over the toilet. Interesting about height being a possible factor.

We met when I was 16, he was 17. I can't think of anything left unasked or unsaid.

I wish I had asked my husband what was all of his favorite things in life.

I wish I had a list of his favorite things in life, so I could surround myself with them all.  I know that sounds crazy, but it is how I feel today.

I miss him so very much and I will always love him dearly.

• 3 weeks later...

Wish I knew what she wants done with her stuff?

I still have not done anything with my beloved's stuff. I took 14 of her long coats and jackets to the drycleaners and they're hanging up in her wardrobe, together with all her designer dresses, etc. As for shoes!!!...so far I've found 17 brand-new high heels with price tags still on them, several new dresses she never wore, heaps of her favourite perfume...

All her casual clothes have been washed ironed and packed in 5 cardboard boxes as my daughters want to make a large duvet from them for each of us. The rest of her dresses will just be left hanging in her wardrobe as they are for a tall (5'11") slim fit. Our younger daughter is the same shape and she says she'll wear what she wants from the collection..

I'm in no rush to do anything with her stuff...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jonesandjenn19781979

Clint was adopted and I wish I would have asked him more about that because I really felt like it may have bothered him more than he cared to speak about. He was private and I wasn't one to pry if I felt like the other person didn't want to answer. I wish I would have asked him a million questions but that is a very interesting question to come across. I've never thought about that.

Guest jonesandjenn19781979

and LADYBUG your questions aren't crazy. I wish I would have asked Clint his favorite color. I wish I would have asked him a lot of things about his favorites.