Memorial Tree Rant

Quixote

Just need a place to vent:  so my wife donated her body to a university medical department.  No cremains, even, which I'm okay with.  The university sent me a lovely letter and some wildflower seeds that I gave to her mother, who planted them in the garden behind my wife's childhood home.

Locally, I paid for a tree to be planted at the church down the street, alongside a public walking path my wife loved.  The gardeners were intermittent with their care, but the church always followed up on needed trimming.

Anyway, life was life and I moved--  I came back to visit a couple of months ago and found the tree completely brown/dead and the memorial plaque missing.  I talk to the church and they promise to replace the tree and plaque.

Nearly two months later and a few unreturned phone calls, I get this:

The Board of Trustees met with an Arborist at the tree-site, and after examining the tree and making a few incisions he determined that the tree was not in fact dead, but its poor appearance was probably due to the drought and lack of watering. He thinks that the recent rains may resuscitate it, but we have also been in contact with our landscapers to ensure it is being watered correctly and will monitor it in the future.

In regards to the plaque, the Board of Trustees informed Alma that they no longer have a supplier and therefore will not be replacing it. They suggested you may purchase another plaque, if you would like, however the design would need to be approved by them before installation.

Seriously, "poor appearance" is not a single green leaf or shoot on the entire tree.  I'll be visiting it again in a couple of weeks (it's about three hours on the weekends) to see if it's improved at all.  But honestly, I'm just sick about it.  She doesn't have a grave, this is her only memorial.  They were supposed to be taking care of it and are basically patting me on the head and saying "Oh well".

I dunno.  It's just a tree.  I've a painting of it with our dog sitting next to it.  I guess that's as good a memorial as the tree itself.  But I don't actually feel that way.

I am so sorry to hear this. That is appalling. And isn't there a verse in the bible about caring for the widowed? This is the kind of stuff that turns people away from religion.

The next time I am out on the trails, I will leave something in your wife's memory. It may only be a libation and a prayer, but I will do it with honor.

Not a pleasant situation, Hopefully the arbourist is right, but otherwise here's my advice...

Hold tight the memory ,the personal momentos that you still keep ...let go the angst that this public memorial has caused...regroup and so forward.

Another ( maybe weird) thought, if the tree is dead ask for the wood, burn it and keep those ashes as the tree was what you hoped would represent your wife after her passing.

So sorry - that is so disrespectful of them, especially after the generosity. I have a bench and a plaque for my LH (only memorial as well) and I can see its wear and tear so feel I may have a few issues when this comes about. I also had to pay for the plaque (although he died in service) which I was ok with but they wouldn't let me choose the supplier or style I wanted...had to go with local that everyone else uses.

Just seeing this.  So sorry Quixote. I can kind of relate-- I arranged for a very small plaque to be placed at the pub where my husband was barkeep and I met him, and it is not there despite the promises, nor is his photo (that they asked for) on the wall.  But I find your story more egregious and will also pay tribute to your wife on Sunday when I am in the snow-covered hills.