Wedding planning and remembering 24 years ago

Trying

This weekend fiancé and I were away planning our wedding which will be in September. It was a wonderful weekend and I'm so happy we decided to have it in a beautiful place with just our immediate families.  It was nice to get away for 2 days without the kids and remove ourselves from some of the recent stress of blending (we have been living together since we got engaged in November).

Now today would have been my 24th anniversary with DH.  It's such a strange place to be, looking forward and being happy about my future at the same time as I look back with sadness over what was lost.  I will be exactly twice the age I was on my first wedding day when I get married for the second time.  I didn't plan anything special today to remember our anniversary but that's where I'm finding my thoughts today.

I remember the turmoil of figuring out the life moving forward within the context of the life that was in the past.  John and I also chose a small wedding...but so small we didn't invite anyone except a couple of people we met a couple days before the ceremony.  You may find yourself with a bit of sadness, however I think you will be focused on your new life and love and that will color your experience as you celebrate your love.

Hugs to you on your anniversary.  Days like today remind us that we really don't forget the past, even though our memories can get fuzzy over time.

Hugs,

Maureen

First of all, congratulations. And Im glad you and NG could get away for some non-kid time, especially after reading about what the ex is doing. it must seem so surreal, to be planning for a wedding....and I can imagine it can be triggering.

I was in my sister's wedding party as the maid of honor 2 years ago and the event made me happy but sad. I could barely keep it together when the minister said "until death do you part...."

Wishing you and your NG and families all the best - blending these new lives is so different from our prior lives...but Im very happy you guys found each other !

Congrats!

It is surreal, isn't  it? This middle aged widow thing. And getting married again! Something I certainly can't get my brain around.

It sounds like the perfect wedding, intimate and in a beautiful setting, exactly as I would also want it.

Very cool.